Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to use Overdrive?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any chance you have some gunk sitting around in the bottom of your pan causing some sorta blockage? I've had that happen before in tranny pans and oil pans before. And IIRC, the OD light would in fact flash.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Might be. I'm trying not to pull the pan though.

I checked the tranny fluid yesterday, and today, and it's still red, and doesn't smell like burnt toast.

At this point, I think it is or was something stupid.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Could have just been a fluke...coulda been too damp or too humid or something like that causing stuff to go wild with the electricals...I've also had that happen, and everything is fine for a good long time (although it usually leads to wire tracing for me though). So just keep an eye on it.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Just to clear a few things up here... That truck was manufactured by Ford with intent for the consumer to generally not use the overdrive disable switch, unless they need to kill that extra gear. Translation-- leave the switch alone and let the overdrive do it's thing unless you NEED to disable that gear (ie, when towing or pulling up a long steep grade). The switch was never meant to be used as a manual toggle every time you want to enable and disable overdrive-- it's there to give you the ability to disable it when needed; otherwise keep it on and use it while driving.

In-town driving will NOT be affected by disabling that switch. The overdrive gear is not active until your tranny is ready to shift out of 3rd. In my truck, at light throttle, it'll switch into OD as early as 35mph but that's VERY light throttle and if I move the throttle at all then it'll drop back down to 3rd. Generally speaking mine won't shift into OD until at least 45mph. If you're really underrevving it then the tranny will drop back down to 3rd-- this is fine. But those speeds will vary from truck to truck depending on tranny gear ratios, rear axle gear ratio, and tire size.

Other than that-- Ernie is correct. Lower RPMs means the pump (read: torque converter) is spinning at slower speeds which means less fluid circulation. If you're in a situation that will stress the transmission then definitely turn off OD, otherwise you should forget that you even have the switch. Most consumers have no idea what overdrive is or does, and therefore Ford would be pretty naive to think that their customers would be smart enough to constantly toggle it on and off else smoke the transmission immediately.

I'm going to respectfully- but strongly disagree here Chris. The intent of the design was to generate CAFE numbers, and they did it at the expense of the durability and reliability of the components involved. Ironically, we're having the same discussion on the Corvette forum, with a '94 Silverado that's on it's 3rd transmission. OD went out each time, except in GM's design when the OD fails, it takes the entire transmission with it.

This from shop experience with literally dozens of tranny replacement over the years, and discussions with mechanics and factory field service reps concerning those failures. GM and Ford never mentioned in their owners manuals about locking out the Overdrive because they were afraid that 1) The EPA would consider this an acknowledgement that the truck should be driven as a three-speed, and would then test them as such and 2) and admission that premature transmission failure was, in fact, a factory design flaw. Of note, not long after that dramatic BBQ'd Suburban episode, Chevy started mailing out supplemental instructions to truck owners concerning the "never tow in overdrive" advice.

The newer transmission designs (which the Ranger doesn't have, ditto Chebbies Colorado) have a tow/haul button and also the ability to sense in-town driving, greatly reducing that "gear hunt" found in earlier overdrives. My comments would not apply to a newer Silverado or F150's from approximately '05 on up, but would apply to previous designs and the compact trucks, which are still using older technology.

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well, the ol girl is still doing the O/D Off light thing. She seems to do it every other week, and on the same roads each time. It almost always happens on a highway at 50MPH and up, and a few times it has done it on a hill. It's definitely something wrong with overdrive, as that's the only time it happens.

Any ideas what it could be before I have to argue with the tech at the transmission shop that it does not need a full rebuild?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Well, the ol girl is still doing the O/D Off light thing. She seems to do it every other week, and on the same roads each time. It almost always happens on a highway at 50MPH and up, and a few times it has done it on a hill. It's definitely something wrong with overdrive, as that's the only time it happens.

Any ideas what it could be before I have to argue with the tech at the transmission shop that it does not need a full rebuild?

ok... this is the simplest way to explain it...

when the OD light is on, but solid, it means your OD is off.. as in you clicked the button to disable it.

if the light is off, the OD is able to be used, you never disabled it by clicking the button.

when the light is flashing, its a fault code. sometimes its as simple as a solenoid, sometimes its in need of a rebuild, yours im guessing with the low miles, is just needing the soleniods tested and replaced...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
lol, I know about the light and why it's on, I was just seeing what everyone else thinks needs to be replaced. lol.

Regardless, it's gonna go to the transmission shop for a scan.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
or just read here

Just in case someone else is looking for the answer.
N (Neutral)
With the gearshift lever in N (Neutral), the vehicle can be started and is
free to roll. Hold the brake pedal down while in this position.
D (Overdrive)
The normal driving position for the
best fuel economy. Transaxle
operates in gears one through four.
D (Overdrive) can be deactivated by
pressing the O/D OFF switch on the
end of the gearshift lever. This will
illuminate the O/D OFF lamp and
activate Drive.
Drive (O/D OFF switch pressed)
Drive is activated when the O/D OFF switch is pressed.
• This position allows for all forward gears except overdrive.
• O/D OFF lamp is illuminated.
• Provides engine braking.
• Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D to
other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain, heavy loads, trailer
towing and when engine braking is required.
• To return to O/D (overdrive mode), press the O/D OFF switch. The
O/D OFF lamp will not be illuminated.
• O/D (Overdrive) is automatically returned each time the key is turned
off.
2 (Second)
This position allows for second gear only.
• Provides engine braking.
• Use to start-up on slippery roads.
• To return to D (Overdrive), move the gearshift lever into the D
(Overdrive) position.
• Selecting 2 (Second) at higher speeds will cause the transaxle to
downshift to second gear at the appropriate vehicle speed.
Driving
1241 (First)
• Provides maximum engine braking.
• Allows upshifts by moving gearshift lever.
• Will not downshift into 1 (First) at high speeds; allows for 1 (First)
when vehicle reaches slower speeds.
When parking, do not use the gearshift in place of the parking
brake. Always set the parking brake fully and make sure that the
gearshift is securely latched in Park (P). Turn off the ignition
whenever you leave your vehicle. Never leave your vehicle unattended
while it is running. If you do not take these precautions, your vehicle
may move unexpectedly and injure someone.
Forced downshifts
• Allowed in D (Overdrive) or Drive.
• Depress the accelerator to the floor.
• Allows transmission to select an appropriate gear.
If your vehicle gets stuck in mud or snow
If your vehicle gets stuck in mud or snow, it may be rocked out by
shifting from forward and reverse gears, stopping between shifts in a
steady pattern. Press lightly on the accelerator in each gear.
Do not rock the vehicle if the engine is not at normal operating
temperature or damage to the transmission may occur.
Do not rock the vehicle for more than a minute or damage to the
transmission and tires may occur, or the engine may overheat.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts