Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 Heads...newbie question

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Can't access Bubba's at work, and I have't thought much about stock heads before...so the question is, are there any stocker heads that will directly bolt to a 400 that are worth the time and effort? I'm pretty sure this is the next area I'm gonna touch on the Bronco and I'm not sure which direction I want to go. I'm shooting for reliability and low maintenance. If there will be negligible gains from stock heads, I'll just bypass that route and do a little more research in the aftermarket.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Can't access Bubba's at work, and I have't thought much about stock heads before...so the question is, are there any stocker heads that will directly bolt to a 400 that are worth the time and effort? I'm pretty sure this is the next area I'm gonna touch on the Bronco and I'm not sure which direction I want to go. I'm shooting for reliability and low maintenance. If there will be negligible gains from stock heads, I'll just bypass that route and do a little more research in the aftermarket.

not heads.... but bolt in a 351W or 460......... that'll take care of your issues....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I have no issues...just looking for a little more power and efficiency.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
the 351W does both!!! 13 mpg's city and 16 hwy!! with GT40 Heads Custom Cam headers over 300 horses!!! did it all for less than 1200 bucks... (i think) might've been 1500...

I got 14mpgs hwy with 35's and a transfer case and 300hp for under $800 (includes fluids, gaskets and valve job) currently...still looking for headers and heads. So I see no point in going to a 351W just for my power to be higher in the rpm range and so I can spend double the money. And that's with a motor pulled out of a field.

As for 460 stuff...I find negligible difference in price and performance to 350hp, and might give a couple advantages to the 400...after that, of course the 460 is more cost effective and has waaaaay more potential...until you break that 350 mark...I see no point unless you have little weiner syndrome.

Last edited:
If you want more power out of the 400, put edelbrock alum intake on there and a 4 barrel. If you dnt have this already.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
351C heads..

Particular year or any????? And would that effect the intake any? I know when you try putting a 351C intake on a 400 it requires adapters...so then would that require the reverse adapters or just pick up a 351C intake (probably cheaper). For the record...the science behind heads baffles me as to what's 'good' and what's not.

Needle in a haystack......:wasntme:

I know a few guys with a couple sitting.

If you want more power out of the 400, put edelbrock alum intake on there and a 4 barrel. If you dnt have this already.

Done...only thing that hasn't been touched is the rotating assembly, which I don't see changing...even my heads have been touched up...but to stock specs.

2v if you can find um.. :wasntme:

But yeah, I'd say any I don't know a lot about them other than they are like one of the baddest ones ford ever made..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sweet...like I said, I have a couple buddies with 351C's sitting in their garage or in a car in a field. Actually almost bought one of them engines to replace the original 351M...but I was having difficulty coming up with a C6 for it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Again...exposing my ignorance, I've got my hands on a couple sets of 351C heads...but before I pull the trigger, I wanna know what a good price is.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The more I dig...the more it sounds like the 2v 351C heads and the 400 heads are the same????????

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...that's what I was thinking...but it's cool, I'll see what can be done.

Sweet...like I said, I have a couple buddies with 351C's sitting in their garage or in a car in a field. Actually almost bought one of them engines to replace the original 351M...but I was having difficulty coming up with a C6 for it.

IIRC the 351C has the small block bolt pattern..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's correct...I was having difficulty finding anyone with a spare SB C6 or wanted to sell on the cheap.

Ford Truck Articles