View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 05:53 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
No manual behind the diesel...

A friend and I took his '14 Grand Cherokee (Hemi) halfway across the country to pickup a car one weekend a couple years ago...I did at least half the driving coming home with the trailer. I'm not sure how much was the air-ride suspension, but that thing was way more stable than I expected given how small it was relative to the trailer. (I've pulled UHaul car haulers behind several rigs, so I'm generally familiar with the dynamics.) Really nice tow rig.

I had a few extra minutes at lunchtime today just down the road from a Jeep dealer so I stopped in...just looked and sat as I didn't have much time. I wanted to like the Gladiator but it's a tough size to warm up to. Bigger than my Ranger by quite a bit- enough you'd notice it in tight spaces- but the bed is too short to hold a motorcycle and the only interior space is the seating compartments- not ideal for a toolbox, and the awkward crap I haul around far more often than multiple passengers. The four-door Wrangler was far more appealing when you park them side by side, especially since I think I'd end up needing a trailer for my "truck stuff" with either. (Not always- the Gladiator would be better for routine dump runs and such...but that's a pretty minor thing.)

Still waiting to hear the story on the 2020 Bronco, and I need to look at Frontiers and Tacomas...but I've got time. The Ranger still runs fine and it's inspected and registered through the end of the year.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed (not running)-- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed (gone)
1986 BMW R80 -- 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 3.5L 6-cyl 6-speed

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling