Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

proper way to break in engine/cam (roller cam)(new engine)

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
its a brand new engine.. 1996 (5.0HO) Gt40 heads
im doing a cam swap..

how to break in the engine and cam ?? run normal for 1000 miles??

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Alright put some cam break in stuff in it and start it and rev it up to 1500 to 2000 rpms and hold it there for 15 minutes or so. Do you have a stick or auto trans? If ya have a stick then take the truck out for a drive on an empty road and accelerate hard and let off the gas and let the compression slow it down do this one gear at a time and do it about 10 or 20 times (dont rev it too high). I dont know how to do it with an auto. After about 100 miles or so change the oil and put 15w40 rotella in there. Then change it again in about 5-600 miles with whatever. Go easy on it till ya get 1500 miles on it (no high revs mainly). Then after all that ya should be good to do whatever ya want.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Alright put some cam break in stuff in it and start it and rev it up to 1500 to 2000 rpms and hold it there for 15 minutes or so. Do you have a stick or auto trans? If ya have a stick then take the truck out for a drive on an empty road and accelerate hard and let off the gas and let the compression slow it down do this one gear at a time and do it about 10 or 20 times (dont rev it too high). I dont know how to do it with an auto. After about 100 miles or so change the oil and put 15w40 rotella in there. Then change it again in about 5-600 miles with whatever. Go easy on it till ya get 1500 miles on it (no high revs mainly). Then after all that ya should be good to do whatever ya want.

great.. its a manual so i will do that mostly..
that also counts for the engine right?

but i heard that roller cam doesnt require break in thats why im askin...

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yes its for the motor to seat the piston rings and make it so it dont burn oil. Sorry if I made it sound like that was for the trans. Ive never messed with roller stuff but I would do it so ya dont cook the cam and lifters.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yes its for the motor to seat the piston rings and make it so it dont burn oil. Sorry if I made it sound like that was for the trans. Ive never messed with roller stuff but I would do it so ya dont cook the cam and lifters.

well ok .. i will do that.. installing the cam and let the motor sit for a while wont hurt it right? becuase the motor is out right now and heading for a shop to change cam and i need a few other parts before i stick the engine in the truck then to start the engine and break it in..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
No it wont hurt it just make sure ya get lots of lube on every inch of that cam and seal the motor in a garbage bag and tape up any holes to keep out dirt and dust.

ok. thanks for your help!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'll tell you the proper way to break engine, is to send it to me and Don :D

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
He wants a good motor not a a box of parts sent back to him.

hahah exaclty.. this is gonna be my daily driver and weekend fun truck.. it has to last me about 4 more years.. i know it will go allot more than that.. but in 4 years i finish school at start working.. to build a 10 sec truck :)

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah itll last that long easy as long as your not too hard on it. The 302 in my 85 will rev up to about 5000 but quits pullin around 4500 there aint nothin like 60 in 3rd gear.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i will set the limiter on this engine at 6000 and shift at 5500-5800

the engine will do it fine right? i see stock 18 year old mustangs still revving to 6 K with no prob

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
It could but not for very long. I wouldnt go that high but it really depends on the cam and stuff and where it quits pullin. I would get it all broke in then try takin it up to 5-5500 do it on the highway or dragstrip so ya can see when it quits pullin. Then after ya figure out where it quits pullin set your rev limiter and stuff like that. For street drivin I usually dont rev it past 3000 or so to shift and its got plenty of get up and go at that rpm.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Where did you get the cam? I know for a regular cam you just rev it up to 2000 rpm or so for 15 - 30 minutes, depending. The cam should have instructions for breaking it in with it. Also, I don't know about a roller cam, as far as having to break it in or not

Here's my .02 -

Just drive it. Don't hold it at the same RPM for extended periods for the first 500 miles or so. You don't have to baby it, but I wouldn't be flogging it either.

I've always done my first oil change on a new motor @ 500 miles -

Ask the rebuilder or the shop that's putting the cam in for you what they recommend as far as what viscosity of oil to use - 15w/40 seems to me a bit too heavy.

Like I said, just my two cents worth of advice.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
No break in for the cam....
The 15 min is to set the rings, and also look for anything that might be wrong...
Drive it normal for 10-20 miles, then drive it how you plan on driving it for the next several Years...
You want to keep it to the floor all the time, then do it that way... You want to baby it then go that way with it... Dont change anything for break in from your normal driving... Me, after 20 miles i hot rodded the **** outta my truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts