Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tranny advice needed!!!!!

Hey guys, Brand new a few minutes ago. I just got a 64 ford f100 and love it. I always wanted one. Gott an issue though. I was warming it up and popped the clutch by accident and now no reverse. Help!.. I need top know what options I have and where to get the parts to get me back on the road. I have a 4 speed that was on a v-8 are the the same as three on the tree but floor shift? Mount to the six? Help Please!!!!!

IMG_6898.JPG

EDITTED BY CAFORDDUDE: TO ADD PIC OF VEHICLE

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. been driving her around everywhere. I live in Barrie Ontario, which is just north of Toronto. Bought it a few weeks ago, drove it home. What happened was I went to the snowmobile races back in the pits with my girls. They wanted to warm up so I started the truck up. I was on a bit of a hill facing down so I put the truck in revese and let the clutch out a bit a few times to make a bit of a divit to stay in. Pulled the choke out and popped the clutch not even thinking for some reason. Pushhed it in real quick but you know. The truck quit. I started it back up and tried reverse and it was very tight it seemed. Really binding i guess. Thought it was the Divit but let clutch out and no go, quit. Tried forward a hair and its there. Column now wont shift properly. Climed under and tried for reverse as it sounded like it was not in gear. Could hear the gear bouncing i guess against a spinning gear. Tried but no backwards. Towed home and in the drive way. My pride and joy is hooped the second week. Wife anit happy. I told her I was getting a new truck and got this. My summer toy is a 67 fargo van. Pine inside, cragers, etc.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
By just dumping the clutch it is not likely you messed something up internally...
Maybe a shift fork got tweaked or something like that.
That would be my first guess.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
64?
It might not be syncronized....
Could be that when you popped the clutch and then pressed it back in quickly the gear spun some and now it doesnt want to go in....

Try rocking the truck back and forth and putting it in reverse at the same time...

what ever the issue is it in side the tranny for sure. I couldnèt engage even by hand. Whats inside the linkages, outer is good. Can you get rebuild kits for 6 cyl three on tree. What else fits

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im sure you can...
Try my suggestion before you drop the trans...
Also could be the shift fork got tweaked...

Will it not go in at all?
Or does it grind and not go in?
Any noise?

feels like nothing is there for shifting even by hand into reverse. It sounded like something was just lightly hitting something spinging for a second or 2 when it happened.

only reverse it seems. Could only try forward a bit before the snow bank. lost room from rolling and swearing. Hard to shift though even at stand still running or not. Flat bed came and got me. Still got lots of thumbs up though even on the tow!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If they are already on your computer
Use the advanced reply...
On the bar above the text box there is a paper clip, click on it, click the browse button then upload....
close that box, click the same paper clip, and click on the link that you want to post up...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
What about bein low on oil and maybe strippin a gear.

Possible but not likely...
If he rocked it like i suggested in a previous post, it might help diagnose a stripped gear....
Could just be real old and wore out, and finally let go....

What transmission do you have?
I can see if i can find a parts supplier for you.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well if he drove a long way before that and it was already hot from lack of oil then he put it in reverse and it stripped em. That and he says it feels like its in but its not engagein then there might be no good teeth left on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts