Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Feels like I'm riding in a wave pool

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...In the '79 Bronco, I've been having a problem over the last week where when I start from a stop to 15mph and when I brake from 15mph to a stop, my Bronco feels like it's waddling side to side. Kinda feels like how bias tires flatspot, but these are radials and speed sensitive. I feel like I'm in a wave pool or something. I think it's coming from the rear, but not really sure if it is or how to diagnose this problem. I had the death wobble about 2 months ago and fixed it, and about a month ago I had the front end aligned. And then rotated the tires, the front left tire which is now on the rear left had pretty bad wear markings because it was pretty toe in. Any ideas? Is the tire that out of round? Threw a balance? Where else and what else should I look for? Thanks for any tips, info or advice.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Check your shocks, brake adjustments, springs. Step up on the bumpers on all corners and bounce it up and down see if there are any excess bounce etc...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Shocks are a little old, but are still good, brakes are well tuned...oddly enough, I haven't checked the springs yet. Thanks for the info.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
That sounds like they are out of round/ way off balance, I don;t know about where you got your tires from but most places you by tires will check them for free or a small fee.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That sounds like they are out of round/ way off balance, I don;t know about where you got your tires from but most places you by tires will check them for free or a small fee.

Yeah, I was thinkin that was the problem too. They're the tires the PO put on...some sorta CHEAP M/T...so I'm really not concerned with keeping them, as a matter of fact, I would welcome premature wearing so I can get a set of Claws, Dirt Grips or SSR's. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any possible diagnosis for my problem before I just chalked it up to bad tires.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yeah it just sounds like bad tires to me..
When I was working on rigs out of round tires were one of the biggest issues we had with trucks because Penske used nothing but Goodyears and thats why I don't like good years.

Torn and broke sidewall.

Not hard to view when it is off.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Torn and broke sidewall.

Not hard to view when it is off.

Yeah I could see that as being a possible problem. You shoulda seen the front driver's side tire.

Turn the rear drums. JMO

Really...even upon acceleration? I thought that woulda only had an effect when braking.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I guess if theyre out of round enough they could be catchin the shoes everytime they turn. Could also be the rotors on the front are warped and catchin the pads on each go around.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I guess if theyre out of round enough they could be catchin the shoes everytime they turn. Could also be the rotors on the front are warped and catchin the pads on each go around.

Well as I said, it's speed sensitive and only happens from 0-15 mph and 15-0 mph. So I really think it's just that one bad tire. I figured a brake issue would still be there above 15mph just more faint. But I guess I can always check out the brakes, I haven't inspected them since the problem started.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for all the info fellas...as I said, I really think it's a tire, but I also wanted any and all info that I coulda overlooked. Got some ideas so far, so keep them coming. I have a free weekend, so I can check everything out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What no superbowl party?

I meant I'll be in town all weekend...no big plans or anything special. I'll start partying by myself around 5 on Sunday. It's not like checking out any of these problems is gonna take more than a few hours. Unless of course something actually does need to be replaced. But I really think it's just a bad tire.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts