Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ebay Headers....(rant)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I put on a set of headers I got off of Ebay last year when I built the 5.4 in the truck. I thought "save some money, flanges look thick..." well the flanges were thick, but apparently the welds on the tubes were NOT! I have been noticing a small leak by the headers but could never pinpoint the leak.

I took the truck back to the exhaust shop that did all the custom work on the exhaust(from the heads back to the tips) and asked if they could spot the leak. Well after putting it on the rack twice (the first time they couldn't hear anything) they found the leak to be in the middle of the four tubes where they meet at the flange where the pipe takes off from. Needless to say they can't get a welder in there to weld it and don't suggest welding from the inside.

Now I am at a point of do I try to wrap it with header wrap to see if it closes it up, or do I pony up the money to have name brand headers put on and hope they don't crack as well.

grrrrr....

*end rant*

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Header wrap will eventually cause them to rust out. Talk to a welder about them. A pro may be able to get down in there, if the header is off.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
....if the header is off.

That is the problem, They are not coming off. It cost me 600 to get gaskets put on, I'm not paying to take them off.

LOL hell it took me 2 hours to get them on when it was on a stand!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
somebody rammed it in your ass with no lube then!
Gaskets cost me like 20 bucks.
the labor is the expensive thing...
See if you can get somebody to braze them in the truck... Not likely but worth a shot...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
somebody rammed it in your ass with no lube then!
Gaskets cost me like 20 bucks.
the labor is the expensive thing...
See if you can get somebody to braze them in the truck... Not likely but worth a shot...

The gaskets I bought outright from summit. They are a carbon fiber/copper ring design. They are holding up great.

The reason they cost so much to put in is I just paid for time. They had over 6 hours in the headers. there was 4 bolts that were IMPOSSIBLE to get to. that is why I had them do it! LOL I didn't want to screw with it.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Buy a louder stereo? ;)

I already have a loud stereo. It will drown it out, but its embarrasing as hell. When you line up with someone (i.e. a fart piped civic in town tonight) you don't wanna sound like crap as you blow past them, you know.

FordBoy86

Kentucky Chapter member
I bought some mac longtube headers off ebay for my 2003 mustang gt with the 4.6 and i have no complaints even after a year. It was a pain in the ass to do i know that much. Best way on a car like mine is drop the subframe.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well Doc I would normally feel sorry for you but since your a commie all I have to say is..

nelson3.gif
smilieneenar smilieneenar
can't you just take them and them reweled seems like it would be much cheaper then buying a new pair..

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I am gonna talk to a few more people about it and see what they think! I would like to just braze them in, but IDK if anyone will do that...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Uh lemme check...BRB!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts