Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much time do you normally "play" with your truck?

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Strange question, I know, but for me, my truck is one of my passions and I tend to spend way more time than I'm afraid most folks would think is sane playing with it (my truck silly!). I like to lay under it an check out every little detail, crawl all over the engine bay, clean parts nobody ever sees, take triple0 steel wool to the chrome, q-tips to the A/C vents, etc., etc., etc. restoring, replacing, upgrading components of it give me such pleasure, the absolute best part of course is after wash and detail it and drive it! smiliepeelout :D Am I the only one that is so anal about my truck?
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dak...I gotta say I'm right there with you buddy. Sometimes I go looking for a problem even if there's not one there just so I can play with my truck. When I was at home last, I cleaned the d-shafts, shocks and springs. Give me a reason to be with my truck and I'll be all over it. Hell sometimes, when everything is perfect, I start playing with tire pressures to determine what psi I prefer the best, and of course that means a test drive after every adjustment...haha. Sometimes folks just don't get the addiction and passion I have for my rigs. I like to take care of my stuff, even if that means someone thinks what I'm doing is silly. I call it maintainance. Besides, how many other 30+ year old rigs do you see on the road? There's a reason for that.

Last edited:

dakonthemountain

Ben, I have the plans for my garage carport for next summer! Remember I'm getting Burt painted back to total original beginning in the spring. Its' going to be a 20 x 24, heated and cooled, hot and cold running water, with a redwood deck on top that has a stairway up to the deck on my house (I live on the side of a mountain) straight to my front door. My travel trailer will also be kept in it. I'm doing all the construction myself except for the foundation. Burt will be SO happy when he comes home! Me too! It will be so much easier to work/play in the winter.
Dak

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol! I like this thread. Yeah I'm pretty anal too. Any time that I can find between class and work I'm generally researching something new that I can do to my truck :D Love it.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I am no where near that bad, as a matter of fact with a 2y/o and a 4y/o I pretty much gave up for a while! LOL

dakonthemountain

I just got my NOS complete shop manuals for Christmas!!! Now I'm going to become a total Ford Truck Nerd... reading all the (to some) boring details about specifications, part numbers, torque, etc., etc., etc.
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dak, I didn't remember you were building a garage...I wish I had one. Here at school I get to work in the parking lot or at a parts store. At home we have a car port, but not really enough room to work, just park a couple rigs. So that leaves either the grass or the driveway...and the grass is a no-no now after mom found her antifreeze burned grass after I missed the bucket during a t-stat change.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I play with things on my truck every other day if i'm not tuning the carb i'm playing with wiring looking up other mods I can do or just fiddling around.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'll lay under there for over an hour sometimes... just looking and thinking.

There's no better place to think than on the crapper or under your truck. That's what I always say. And on hot days, it's also nice to take a mid afternoon nap underneath your rig...especially if you have a nice creeper.

Blade

Backwoods boy
ummmmm does sitting in ur truck and familurizing urself with everything, crawing under it and looking at everything count???

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Right now I don't spend too much time on it. I drive it every day though. I fix stuff as needed and try not to neglect anything. After fixing cars all day I just want to get home. The other day, after about a year of debating, I finally installed some mud flaps.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Im bout the same and just fix stuff when it needs it and thats pretty often. But on the chance the truck dont need it I like to mess around with the jeep a little.

For the first 20 years I spent most of my time enjoying it by driving it.

I worked so much I hardly had time to be with my truck to make changes.

Just every other weekend.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I usually only lie underneath it when I'm working on something, or trying to diagnose/understand something.

If my back starts to really bother me after I've been working a while, I've been known to lie flat on my back beside the truck staring for a while, but I do usually manage to crawl out from underneath first for safety.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
i have a 3 year old and a less than understanding G/F so i dont get as much time under my truck as i need (yes it is a need). but that will change soon. mostly because im going to tell my G/F that if i dont get my butt in gear soon on rebuilding my engine im going to have to get her to take me to work. we did that once before when we only had one car running (my truck!!!) that wasnt fun.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts