Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My dream engine...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
That's a great motor... for a cobra kit car, not so much for a truck though.. three hundred cubic inches just isn't enough displacement.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I can get a 351 with 350Hp how will displacement make a difference when the smaller engine can pump out more hp then a larger one if properly built.

TQ is what moves the load, HP is just a measure of how fast the motor can apply the TQ it generates. A larger displacement motor will generate more TQ at low rpms, and that translates into faster acceleration given all other variables are unchanged. Case in point, I swapped from a 5.8 to 5.0 motor in my truck this past summer, both motors make about the same peak HP(about 280), but the 5.0 is easily 2-3 seconds slower going 0-60. So a 5.0 with 30 more HP isn't going to makeup for the ~100ft-lb TQ advantage the 5.8 has below 3000rpm.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm I didn't even think of that so a larger engine making a few less HP but still more TQ then the 302 will still preform better..
Cool thanks a bunch Paul! :D

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
What I would really love is a stroker! like a 306 or 320 but they seem to be more money then the big stroker kits so I dunno I'll most likely end up going with a Winnie.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I'm not gong to racing or dragging I still want to be able to drive it daily and maybe some thing I can pass down I don't want a engine that will beat its self to death in a few years like a 347 or a largely stroked winnie.
But I do want it to sound awesome and be able to haul some serious booty and do mondo! burn outs.
When I do this i'm going to mate it with a custom built AOD and going to go with a EFI system like the Retro speed Tekk FI system.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I say stroked 351, around a 408.
That would be sweet.
408 is about optimum for the 351, big enough to make loads of torque and power, but not so big as to tear its self apart.

Well I'm not gong to racing or dragging I still want to be able to drive it daily and maybe some thing I can pass down I don't want a engine that will beat its self to death in a few years like a 347 or a largely stroked winnie.
But I do want it to sound awesome and be able to haul some serious booty and do mondo! burn outs.
When I do this i'm going to mate it with a custom built AOD and going to go with a EFI system like the Retro speed Tekk FI system.

Do some reading on http://sbftech.com/index.php when it comes to ford engines they know there stuff. Some of the site is locked until after you've made 10 posts, but be forewarned they don't suffer fools lightly. (kinda like Pirate but not quite as bad) http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,17193.0.html

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I say stroked 351, around a 408.
That would be sweet.
408 is about optimum for the 351, big enough to make loads of torque and power, but not so big as to tear its self apart.

Ya I think I will shoot for a stroked Winnie thanks man..
Oh! and yes Bacon is very good..
bacon5.jpg

Don't you mean they don't take kindly to fools?
Heck then I won't last a week there.... :nana:
Thanks for the info Dragogt :D

Eh something like that. :hammer:

No worries man just a heads up, but they DO know there shit. smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts