Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The transformation is about to begin...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
No not Chris or tony's sex change operations, I have no idea where they are with those.

My truck however is about to get a makeover.

Nothing radical for my mall crawler just...
A Leveling Kit...
Banks CAI...
Banks 3" CAT back exhaust
New Rims
33's
AND
A Brand Spanking Custom tuned Gryphon Programmer from the folks at Power Hungry Performance. http://powerhungryperformance.com/

I'll get some before pics up soon and then when it is done the after pics for sure so keep your damn :post pics: to yourselves.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Drawing a blank...is that truck a 4x4?

Looking forward to seeing pics once its done.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
no it is a 2wd which is one of the reasons I just went with the leveling kit and not the full blown suspension lift. Total cost for everything installed including my three custom tunes is about $4700.

My tuner should be here fri or sat. It is basically a repackaged edge with custom tuning. The tuner, bill was one of the original designers of the edge and it's software. Something like 20 years with the company before he retired

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Nice price tag with it too dang good deal.....I wanna see pics and hear results dangit...that includes a sound clip of the truck....PS tell them to make a programmer for an OBD1...there'a huge disappointed following for those..I know I'm one of em.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well the transformation has offically begun.

My programmer arrived via UPS today. Wish I could say it is all installed and I took it for a spin but I was mid-non-droppable project at the time then dinner kids etc...

I ended up going with the Gryphon from Power Hungry Performance out of Georgia. The Gryphon is essentially a rebadged Edge. The owner/tuner Bill Cohron worked for Edge for something like 20 years before retiring then worked a deal to rebadge the Edge and custom tune it.

Anyways here are some pics, I'll let you know what the canned tunes are like after I get it all installed tomorrow. My custom tunes are still a few weeks away as Bill has to write them still.
www.PowerHungryPerformance.com
DSCF1181.jpg

DSCF1180.jpg

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
PHP is going to write me an 87 tow, 87 performance and 91 performance. Based on all the people I talked to it isn't worth it to get an economy tune because they only saw a 1/2-1mpg gain over the performance tune.

I will run the 87 performance as my daily tune and bump it up to the 91 if I got the extra cash and am feeling froggy.

I hope I am as happy with it as I *THINK* I am going to be. Supposed to just make the whole truck run better. especially after the CAI get installed I guess you need it to get the air/fuel ratio right.

I'm about to go out and load up one of the canned tunes and take it for a spin. I'll give you my opinion of it a bit later.

Fit and finish is great. It sets up on the dash and kind of "snaps" into place. They also provided some brackets and tape but I don't think that will be needed.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Well the tuner has made a HUGE improvement in the driveability of my truck. maybe a HUGE improvement of the FUNABILITY of my truck is more appropriate.

Acceleration is far superior to stock form in both a start from a stop and from rolling. Shifts seem to be firmer and more precise. No more slow shifting.

Guages are great also I think there are like 20 different options to choose from on display depending on what numbers you want to see. Color options through the roof for the display due to the use of those little sliding color bars so you could really get a custom color with just a little bit of playing with it.

So far still on the stock tunes. My custom tunes should be here in 2-3 weeks which is fine.

Truck goes into shop tomorrow morning for the other mods. Pics to follow when it is done as well as an audio clip of the exhaust before and after.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts