Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'55 f100 my first project need help

hello all i just bought my first real project. its a 55 ford f100 straight 6 with 3 on the tree. i has the "normal rust" im told on the cab corners and where the running boards bolt to the rear fender and the top of the windshield. I have so many questions on where to start, what motor swap i should do, how hard is it to re do all the rust, good places to find parts, etc. I appreciate all input just keep in mind dont have a lot of money haha thanks

Welcome to the site daddyjake707, we're glad you're here. We have some very knowledgeable f 100 folks on here that should be along before long to address your questions. Feel free to post up some pictures of your truck.

thanks for the welcome blue goose im only 24 and i just bought my house in january so money is tight but ive always wanted a mid 50s f100 and when i cam across this one and could afford to get it i had to jump on it. had to talk my lady into tho haha now im just afraid i might have gotten over my head since as you can tell from the pics below it needs just about everyting so id love to hear any advise thanks
9-7-08-1.jpg

9-7-08-10.jpg

9-7-08-11.jpg

9-7-08-12.jpg

9-7-08-13.jpg

9-7-08-14.jpg

9-7-08-2.jpg

9-7-08-3.jpg

9-7-08-4.jpg

9-7-08-5.jpg

9-7-08-7.jpg

9-7-08-9.jpg

9-7-08-8.jpg

I know everyone wants to swap a modern drivetrain in right away. My recommendation, however, it to get it running and safe (street legal) first. Drive it for a while as is...and let the truck tell you what it needs as far as drivetrain.

The I6 will get you around just fine. It is not a hotrod though. The rear end might be geared a little low for highway driving (some are...some are not). Mine is 3.73 gears and I can run 65 all day long. I have driven as fast as 75 in it out on the interstates. I did so in Oklahoma this weekend.

Mine was going to be hotrodded. That is until I drove it stock for a while.

Now...I am totally unique at shows because mine is original.:wavey:

Oh...the I6 gets pretty good gas mileage as well.

bobf100

Daddyjake - Welcome you've certainly come to the right place. That truck is sweet and I see a lot of potential there. I would tend to agree with Brian in that if money is tight - go ahead and get the truck safe and driveabe using what you've got. There is nothing wrong with I6 - it will get you around just fine. Then as time and money allow you can make upgrades to what ever your dream is for that truck. When you are ready I can tell you about several good F100 parts suppliers that have just about anything that you might need. LOVE THE PICTURES - post up and post often.

One of the first things to do is to order/collect catalogs from F100 part dealers. The catalogs have a lot of part drawings and IPBs (Illustrated Part Breakdowns). These show how a stock F100 goes together and will help you decide what you can afford to do.

I also like the idea of getting it to run, even with the I6, enjoy the truck and then decide what you really want to do.

thanks for all the input fellas ya the first thing i did when i got it home was order 3 different catalogs online for it and emailed TRUCKS! to see if maybe they needed a new project truck for their tv show haha. The I6 runs good that was one of the reasons i got it so i could drive it while i learned on it. i think the first project i want to start is welding in a new cab corner on the passenger side, does anyone have suggestions on a good priced website to order them from also the interior floor on the driver side. thanks

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
thanks for all the input fellas ya the first thing i did when i got it home was order 3 different catalogs online for it and emailed TRUCKS! to see if maybe they needed a new project truck for their tv show haha. The I6 runs good that was one of the reasons i got it so i could drive it while i learned on it. i think the first project i want to start is welding in a new cab corner on the passenger side, does anyone have suggestions on a good priced website to order them from also the interior floor on the driver side. thanks
Have you gotten catalogs from midfifty.com or denniscarpenter.com yet?

Before tearing things apart, sit down and make a list of things that need fixin.

Whatever dollar amount you estimate things will cost, double it!

Most peeps start with mechanics first.

Body and paint are one a the last things on the list.

As far as I know (I have not purchased patch panels) they are all made by the same place.

I usually purchase my parts from Mid-fifty F-100 parts. It is sort of a personal preference for me. I am deaf and use E-mail for everything. The owner (Sy Miller) is really good about answering E-mails (even stupid questions) very quickly.

http://www.midfifty.com/

They will also price match if you find it cheaper from one of their competitors.

I have owned mine close to 3 years. I have concentrated on the mechanical side so far. I am just now starting on the body work (as well as buying parts here and there as cash comes along).

Mine is a driver. About 10 hours worth this past weekend and another 2 Monday. I want a vehicle to be reliable before it looks good.

Have you gotten catalogs from midfifty.com or denniscarpenter.com yet?

Before tearing things apart, sit down and make a list of things that need fixin.

Whatever dollar amount you estimate things will cost, double it!

Most peeps start with mechanics first.

Body and paint are one a the last things on the list.
no i didnt know about those websites thanks ill check em out
now by mechanics do you mean drivetrain and suspension?? the suspension work scares me a little since ive never really done that before except changing shocks or struts from time to time. also ive seen people saying the put on mustang fron clips and stuff like that does that mean they cut the frame rails of the truck in the front and just welded the new front end in??

As far as I know (I have not purchased patch panels) they are all made by the same place.

I usually purchase my parts from Mid-fifty F-100 parts. It is sort of a personal preference for me. I am deaf and use E-mail for everything. The owner (Sy Miller) is really good about answering E-mails (even stupid questions) very quickly.

http://www.midfifty.com/

They will also price match if you find it cheaper from one of their competitors.

I have owned mine close to 3 years. I have concentrated on the mechanical side so far. I am just now starting on the body work (as well as buying parts here and there as cash comes along).

Mine is a driver. About 10 hours worth this past weekend and another 2 Monday. I want a vehicle to be reliable before it looks good.
ya ill definatly check out that website

In my case yes...just replacing worn out parts. The bushings in the springs are replaced. I added poly liners between the leaves. New shocks.

Dad rebuilt the carb for me. New fuel pump. New to me tires. Things like that.

Just to make it safe, legal, and reliable.

I am keeping my stock suspension. Even as a professinal steel fabricator...I am leery of chopping a frame in half for a "clip". You can get bolt in Mustang II front suspension, but again...not sure how much I trust some bolts holding my whole front end on.

There are somewhere around 14 different front ends people use under these old fords. I was seriously interested in the Jag, but decided stock was cheaper and easier.

I am beyond low budget.

bobf100

ya tell me about it i think im gonna take the fenders and front end off tonight and check everything out

If you pull it apart be sure to take good notes, maybe some digital pictures and mark everything so that you are sure how it all goes back together. You would be surprised how much you can overlook or forget over time making it difficult when you are ready to put it all back together. Make a note of all the spacers and shims on the front fenders so that when you put it back together all your body gaps line up. Clearly mark everything and store them in plastic bags. For the small stuff like shims and bolts I use plastic sandwich bags. Not trying to scare you but want to save you some aggravation later on.

I have a set of clecos I intend to use when (and if) I ever pull mine apart. That will help with the allignment too.

Yes, take plenty of pics and notes as well. I like to put the bolts and fasteners from one thing in a well labelled zip lock bag or an old "butter bowl".

My mom saves them for me. I just keep them on a shelf until they are needed.

ya tell me about it i think im gonna take the fenders and front end off tonight and check everything out

If money is tight.I WOULD NOT TAKE IT APART.When you do ,you are going find more and more you are going to want to replace(money!!!).
Like others have said.I would get it in good running condition first and not take it apart until you have money.

Hows the steering? Most of the time the steering box is worn out.

Brakes? Make sure no wheel cylinders, or master cylinder are leaking and the adjusters are not locked up so you can get the brakes adjusted.

Wiring? All lights,horn works.

Engine? Vac advance not busted.Dwell set,valves adjust,points.

the steering is good no power steering so its a pain on slow turns
brakes work good i wouldnt say its stops on a dime more like a 50 cent piece
wiring could be redone it looks like crap the lights work as far as the horn theres no center piece on the steering wheel so im not sure if it works
how do you tell if vac advance is busted??

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well welcome. Sorry I was so slow at getting to say hey .

I'm with Brain on this one . They r nice hot rodded. But at a show the stocks get as many looks.

Get it runing well ,tune up , check all hoses etc.
Jack up check all brake related items ,tie rods etc

There r ways to go power steering without whole frame section . Like fabbing in a newer power Box/rack and makng brackets for a power pump . I saw one done on a truck that runs around here. Stock frame

Basically get her running and enjoy her till funds and you decide which way to go .

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts