Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Don't shoot the messenger........

Went to So. Cal last week for one day beacuse the kid got an audition on a game show and I figured I'd go to my accountant to do '07's taxes. Took the Tundra because the wife wanted to go and bring the 80# pit. (we lost Lucky, the Japanese Mastiff, a few weeks ago and I still break down at least once a day thinking about him.)

Drove my usual 80MPH+.......a few sprints to the 115MPH rev limiter (wierd that some Tundras have a 110MPH shut off???) No lectures, we left at almost midnight on Wednesday and traffic was zilch.

Major grade is Baker grade and I do NOT slow down!!!

Anyway, I calculated 16.7 MPG!!!!!

Return trip was the more normal 15ish+- (14.8 if you want to split hairs)

I wish I had the patience to keep it at 65......I really think it would get very close to 20MPG.

Except for stopping in Barstow to get the frame welded, and of course the tailgate blowing off at 100MPH, the trip was uneventful. (that's for you Ern...smilietease )

After 18,000 miles I still love this truck......which is a good thing since it's practically worthless as is the entire truck market.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Commie!!!!!!!!

Just kidding! Glad it's working out for you. Personally the newest truck I drive regularly is my company truck. An 05 chitty silverado 2500. :(

You know, if you drive it backwards, at high speeds, it actually puts the gas back into the tank fo??? :rofl:

Jk.... Got a friend who has one, and he says the frame flex is useful on rough terrain for keeping 5 point ground contact!

OOk, I'll leave now ;)

Sorry to hear about Lucky, Jack. He was a good boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about Lucky, Jack. He was a good boy.

Thanks, Steve, means a lot.

One week before he left us, he got to do one of his favorite things:

GT40heads050.jpg

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Dang, sorry to hear about Lucky.
angelsad2.gif

The mileage on the Tundra sounds about right. That puts it about 4-3 mpg behind a Silverado, and 2-3 ahead of a F150

Last edited by a moderator:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Thats odd Ernie. My company has quite a few silverados and none of them get that kind of mileage.

Last edited:
Dang, sorry to hear about Lucky.
angelsad2.gif

The mileage on the Tundra sounds about right. That puts it about 4-3 mpg behind a Silverado, and 2-3 ahead of a F150

Thank you.

I'm "guessing" the 5.3 won't get those numbers at that speed.

And I KNOW I have 80+-horsepower more at the rear wheels.....:)

Before my buddy bought his D-Max he had the 6.0 (GMC), He got V10 mileage with that (11-13)

Funny story about him: I let him borrow the V10 when he wants to bring all his toys to the dunes. His "current" wife LOVES driving the old Super Duty.....she's a Ford gal through and through, I think it pisses him off!!!

PERSONALLY I think the Toy is a great balance between power and economy.

But I do have "feelings" for the F-250, so she's a keeper.........that is, of course, you give me 50K toward that new ZR-1 at MSRP......:rofl:

(even then I'd have a $1,000 a month payment:( )

Last edited:
NOTE:

Steve and Ernie, if you notice that I "edited" your post, it's because I'm an idiot and hit "edit" instead of "quote"

Having all this power is hard to handle sometimes.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Thats odd Ernie. My company has quite a few silverados and none of them get that kind of mileage.

Not if they're 2500's- huge difference in mileage. My 5.3 1500 Crew 4X4 saw 19-21 highway depending. Not at Jack's speed's though- 80ish is about my rolling speed. There is about a 2 mpg city, 3 mpg highway difference in EPA between a 5.7 Tundra and a 5.3 Silverado, so that's a pretty consistent observation (EPA figures work best as a comparison, not de facto expectation of what mileage they'll actually get).

The F150 5.4/4X4 comes in at 13/17- same as the Tundra. I had an '05 though, and never saw the better side of 14 with that truck. Nice truck otherwise, but dayum that thing sucked gas.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I am talking about 1500's. 2wd regular cabs, 5.3 auto. Real world mileage is around 16 highway 13 city. This is taken from mileage logs that our fleet gas cards give us, based over long time periods. These aren't the workers trucks that are laden with heavy tools. These are the office trucks that are laden with us fat desk jockeys. :p

The installer trucks are 2500's and Fords. the 2500's are 6.0 auto and get around 12, no matter what.

The fords are all 2000's and 2001's. Not a good comparison, but they are F350's 5.4 5 speed. Around 12 also.

Funny... I could have sworn this was a FORD forum :rofl:

fordpeeingra1.png

'hiding_smilie' Tony put me up to it.

Hello!!! This is the FORD VS THE REST forum!

looks like :flames:Tony gotcha good...

Except that you aren't where you thought you were.... so smilieloser

Yeah right... looks more like the mall crawler found a curbstop

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts