Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

help with color choices?

What color?

• Torch Red

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Viper Blue

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Maroon

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
This is probably several years off, but I am thinking about colors for the 56.

I will be using all SPI (Southern Polyurethanes Incorporated) paint products from the epoxy primer, High build, base, and clear. I know the owner. :)

Anyway, the truck was originanally color code "R" or torch red. I like red, but there are a billion red 50s era trucks.

I am not any sort of photo expert or artist, but here goes.

This is close to the original color:

redsmall.jpg

There is a viper blue that I absouletly love. It has a little metalic in it as well. This is a little light, but it is as close as I can get with this software:

Bluesmall.jpg

Now...I recently saw an older chevy (can I say that here?) that was marroon. I think it looks really elegant, so here is my attempt at it:

maroonsmall.jpg

What do you think and why? We have blue goose's vote already.

No poll I guess...I wanted these three and "other". :(

EDIT:The carpet and headliner are Gray. The seat is black vinyl. The seat belts will be gray as well (when I get some). Scott added a poll for me!!!!! Thanks. :)

As far as two tone. I have only seen on done that way. White top. Looked pretty good. Again, that is not hard to do when I get to paint.

The truck will remain mostly stock for now. It is too close to original to chop up and hot rod. It will never be a "trailer queen", in fact it will be towing trailers eventually. LOL It will be a driver, just to enjoy in my old age. I am not doing some sort of concourse restoration with New Old Stock (NOS) parts. it will be updated with power brakes, seat belts, halogen lights, and whatever else I add.

For current interior pics go here and click on the thumbnails: http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/56/index2.htm

Last edited:

bobf100

Brian I've got to agree with you about the number of red mid-fifty pickups. I like an F1 in red but got burned out on the 53 - 56 F100's in red. That is not a slam on anybody who paints their truck red but only my thought process as to why I chose paint mine differently. It's your truck - your dream so you've got to please yourself despite anybody's opinion. That's what makes this hobby so cool.

Of the color combo's you have given I do like the blue. It's different and lends itself to a variety of interior colors. You will need to carefully choose the stain for the bed wood so that it blends well with the blue. Have you ever considered a two tone paint scheme. A good friend of mine (used to be member of Show Me F100's) painted his stock 56 sea foam green with a white roof. It was a show stopper.......

You might also consider the inside of the truck. These trucks have a metal dash, doors, pilars, header panel, inside step plates and whole bunch of sheet metal that shows. There are a variety of ways to handle. If you paint it a different color from the outside you will need to consider the transition points for the color change. If done correctly painting the inside a different color can be fantastic. I went a different route with mine. My plan was to smooth the truck out and give it a monotone paint job with little to no chrome. Even if you never paint it that truck is a gem - she's got many of us drooling....

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Brian, being a fan of cool colors, I'd vote for blue in a heartbeat. Bob is right that it opens up almost any color for the interior. I decided that I'd be painting my 65 lincoln continental that deep blue color (if I ever find one and then fix it up. :p)

Ryan

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I voted blue but it all depends on what the finished product is going to be.

If you're going with a hot-rod or custom theme then I think the blue would be the way to go.

If you're going for the original look with some modern updates to make it nicer to drive then I would go with the original color of red.

that's just my opinion. YelloThumbUp

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I always loved the rat rod look with just a flat black that looks kinda like primer black. Of course, I also think it'd look cool in any of those colors with flat black front and rear fenders and side steps.

006-18-254.jpg
9847BE.jpg

BLUE, BABY!!! All the way!!!

The Red's OK....

Maroon is, well, more for mini-vans and Pierce Arrows

Go with the blue ONE so blue it looks purple I had a motorcycle that color and I just love it.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
B6C color choices

A = Raven Black; B = Nocturne Blue; C = Bermuda Blue; D = Diamond Blue; E = Colonial White; F = Pine Ridge Green; G = Meadow Mist Green; H = Platinum Gray; J = Buckskin Tan; K = Fiesta Red; L = Peacock Blue; M = Golden Glow Yellow; N = Mandarin Orange.

JMO = Pine Ridge Green or B = Nocturne Blue (close to mrfixit's F1 model).

Red is too common, and doesn't go well with a gray interior. Viper Blue is not original to the period. Black is impossible to keep clean. I've had 3 1956's, one in Golden Glow Yellow, one in (ugh) Colonial White, and the 3rd (BBW) was repainted 1957 T-Bird Flame Red.

Did'ja know that some 1956's were titled as 1957's? This was due to the late introduction of the real 1957 models.

Last edited:
I know that viper blue is not period correct. This is not a concourse restoration or anything. Just a driver that someday may end up one color. Instead of 4 colors of primer and 3 colors of red.

My truck is actually a 55 color. VIN tag indicates color code "R" which is the 55 "torch red". Part of the truck is the original laquer paint still. I am tired of too many red trucks anyway.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
not trying to sway you from viper blue, but have you seen the new ford dark blue? it is on the new mustangs and superdutys. it is a dark blue that i fell in love with. it looks great on big and little vehicles.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Part of the truck is the original laquer paint still. I am tired of too many red trucks anyway.
Hate to be a nitpicker, but in 1956, the only companies that used nitrocellulose lacquer were GM, Ford~only on the Lincoln Continental Mark II, and Packard. Everyone else used Duco enamel.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
oooo, burn.

enamel, laquer, same thing to me. Both come out of a rattlecan. :) What is the difference between the two? The hardening compound? I've noticed 'enamel' is covering more ground lately, and even some latex paints are labeling 'enamel'. what's up?

Ryan

Hate to be a nitpicker, but in 1956, the only companies that used nitrocellulose lacquer were GM, Ford~only on the Lincoln Continental Mark II, and Packard. Everyone else used Duco enamel.

No Burn Ryan. I hope he is right!!!!!!

GM used laquer at least until 86 on the cadillac sedan deville. We re-painted my uncles and were shocked when we took the paint code in to the supply store. :drop:

Do you know where to confirm that it was enamel? Is there some way I can test it myself?

If it is laquer, most paint companies recommend that I strip it to bare metal, then epoxy prime it, and go from there. I might get away with not stripping, but it could react and peel a short time later. :redface: I don't like "Could"

I don't know a reason why enamel would need the same treatment. I will need to do some research once it is confirmed (HELP?!). I will ask Barry too (owner of SPI).

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The Acrylic lacquers used in 1986 bear no relation to the Nitrocellouse lacquers of yesteryear except the name. Ford didn't use Nitrocelluose on anything but Lincolns, prefering Duco Enamel, which was used till acrylic enamel was invented in the 1960's. So, a 1956 F100, or a Fairlane Crown Vic used the same paint = enamel.

"You can have any color as long as it's black." Spoken by 'ol Henry way back when. Prior to 1924, cars weren't painted, they were varnished, and anyone who has ever used varnish knows it takes a good 24 hours to dry. Except black varnish, which dried quicker. Because of that, Henry used black varnish only on all his Model T's beginning in the 19 teens till the advent of Duco enamel. Duco = DuPont Chemical Corp.

In case anyone is wondering who this upstart opinionated newbie is, I'm BKW on a truck forum that will remain nameless, and NumberDummy elsewhere. Sorry, I'm lousy at introductions.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Brian, the only way a 1956 Ford could have lacquer is if someone repainted it. When Nitrocellulose ages, it spiderwebs = cracks. I'll betcha your old Torch Red isn't. If it is lacquer, get ready to strip.

Oh Mr. O'Rattlecan, Nitrocellulose lacquer is as different as Duco enamel as Glock is to Merwin.

Merwin Hulbert & Co. = Think Colt SAA, only with a superior loading system.

Redneck Einstein..I like that, shoulda thought of it first.

Last edited:
:welcome:
welcome1.gif
3welcome.gif

Let's see....who are you again? :rolling laugh:

Just kidding...good to see you visiting our little home on the web. We are small, but growing. Stick around and meet the rest of the crew. Just watch out for Ryan....:rofl: :rofl:

Most of the people agree that blue is the color it should be...some year.

She Devil

Trucks are for GIRLS!
A house...
I am just some little nobody. Carry on. LOL! Thanks Brian. Yeah blue would be nice or a deep purple but since you're a guy I won't go there. ;)

Thanks for the link. I put your name in there for referral but it said you didn't exist.. weird.

Yeah... referrals have to be the EXACT screen name or it'll kick it back.

Welcome to the site!!! Have fun while you are here... we have some excellent techs on here, too, if you find yourself having questions!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts