Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Does octane booster work?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm getting a Superchips chip tonight and I won't be able to run it until I use all the fuel in my tank and fill it with 91. I've seen octane booster at the auto parts store... Does that stuff work? Would 87 octane + octane booster be the same as 91 octane fuel? Will this prevent my engine from pinging with the radical timing tables on this chip?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My understanding is that, yes, it works, but it costs about the same or maybe slightly more per gallon as buying premium over regular (old numbers, though) so what's the point, unless you've got a tank full of gas that pings?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
A back issue of Hot Rod magazine (a few years ago) did a comparison test. None of the boosters raised octane by more than half a point and several actually lowered the octane. I'll try to dig up the article.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A back issue of Hot Rod magazine (a few years ago) did a comparison test. None of the boosters raised octane by more than half a point and several actually lowered the octane. I'll try to dig up the article.
Good enough for me, I'll just burn off the rest of this tank and fill up with premium.

Yeah Ian, I just picked up a performance chip and I have to run 91 or else it'll ping. The chip isnt installed yet and I'm antsie to get it in, so I was trying to figure out a faster way that burning the fuel-- cuz I don't drive much so I won't probably burn all this fuel for a week or two :(

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Uh....ROAD TRIP!

Duhhhh....

What I have been told by some reputable muscle car gurus that I know is that the booster with MANGANESE as a main ingredient will get you a point or two of octane tops. Most other boosters don't do much.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I believe the one in Hot Rod mag that worked is the one that had Manganese in it, like Eco said.

First,

LIQUID_TRANSFER_PUMP.jpg

Then,

Katie+025.jpg

YelloThumbUp

Nothing raises octane, like HIGHER OCTANE FUEL!
Ethanol is today's standard for raising octane.
Did you know that higher-octane fuel actually burns SLOWER than lower-octane gas, and that's the reason it works better at higher compression. To this extent, it would seem that adding Diesel to the Gas would have the same effect.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
has anyone tried that Fitch fuel catalyst?
www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com
it seems to be a little costly but if it actually works it might be worth looking into
personally I want to build a still and start adding alcohol to my tank, if you can ferment it, you can distill it, think about it grass clipping, etc if you distill wood saw dust you can make methanol
yes I know that they do it any ways and you need to change some things in the fuel system, that's why it has not been done already
also has anyone looked into making a hydrogen generator, look it up on youtube, it looks very simple

Michigan
how much u got left???

andym

Real men are fanatics
You could fill it up with 93 octane. My understanding is that equal parts 89 and 93 octane = 91 octane gas.

Michigan
Yea 93 or 94 will even out to about 91.. But what do i know?

andym

Real men are fanatics
I'm pretty sure the grades around here are 89, 91, and 93. I could be wrong since I only buy the lowest grade and I always thought it was 89.

I did see 85 octane once at a rural gas station in Utah. I had a rental, so I filled it up! :D

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm pretty sure the grades around here are 89, 91, and 93. I could be wrong since I only buy the lowest grade and I always thought it was 89.

I did see 85 octane once at a rural gas station in Utah. I had a rental, so I filled it up! :D
Where have YOU been filling up?! Lived in the Sacramento area for the last 2 years and I don't ever remember seeing an 89 91 93 lineup at the pump...

Michigan
We have 87 89 and 91 or 87 91 and 93 also a seperate pump with 110 octane torco Ive even seen 94 oct

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
We have 87 - 89 - 91 and some stations have 93. I fill the wife's with 87, but only cause it's a chebby and I don't care. :)

My leaf blower gets 100LL from the airport. I don't know why it runs hot enough to melt the exhaust guard. Hmmm.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I fill the wife's with 87, but only cause it's a chebby and I don't care. :)

I get really angry when I have to pump anything but the cheapest grade... Requiring premium would pretty much be a deal-breaker on buying a new car, in fact...though a reduction in fuel economy that would cost the same as running premium, would not be. Illogical, yes, but...

Ford Truck Articles