Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

good stick shift habits/proper techniques

I can drive one no problem, but now that I'm going to own one and drive it daily I'd like to clear up good/bad habits

1) brakes are cheaper than clutch components. Don't make a habit of using the clutch/gears to slow down.

2) that said, say I'm going 60 in OD and am exiting the highway. When I put the clutch in should I just pop it in neutral and coast/use brakes, or should I leave it in gear, slowing with brakes and put the clutch in as the speed rpms get close to stopped? Or does it matter?

Any other good bad habits to discuss?

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
I always just put mine in neutral and used my brakes to slow down to a stop. That was with my daily driver in a city. I think i read somewhere in one of my magazines that the less you push in the clutch the better, as its helps with the wear on the fingers of the pressure plate I think. Its also good not to hold in the clutch at red lights, or anywhere you might be sitting for a while.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
See now I drive a stick just the opposite. I use the engine to slow me down untill I need to stop. The brake parts mabe cheaper (slightly) but you may go through twice as many, so in the long run it'll probably cost about the same. Now, if your eating up clutches theres a problem either with the way you drive or mechanical, I have a 90 Dakota with about 150k orig clutch, have even used it to tow a trailer. I guess it all comes down to how you prefer to drive, my way is to let the engine do most of the work.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I, uh, do whatever I feel like.

Sometimes, I'll see how far down the ramp I can get without having to touch the brakes (pretty far, usually, if it's a car and ramp I know), sometimes I'll kick it into neutral and just use the brakes.

If you shift properly, you won't tear up a clutch enough to matter doing either.

As to rules...fundamental rule is this: clutch is in, or clutch is out. In between is where damage/wear happens, so don't be there.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Engine braking is free. Brakes cost money. So guess which one I pick whenever I have the option.

I don't ride the clutch, and I don't downshift to slow down. I can do my own brakes very easily, but clutches are a LOT of work.

I also don't leave the clutch in if I'm at a light for more than about 3 seconds because it's bad for the throwout bearing. In my truck, the clutch pedal is so strong that it's hard to hold it down for that much longer anyway. It was stiff to begin with, but after I put the 11" clutch in, you almost need to use both feet on it. :)

andym

Real men are fanatics
Just leave it in gear and take your foot off the gas. :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I can't be much help. I had an '87 Acura Integra LS. Bought it new and went through four sets of tires, three clutches and the tranny in 22,000 miles. Sure was a fun car!! Them little front wheel drives are FUN when you lock the parking brake and drop the clutch at 7K!! Even more fun, do it with the wheel turned full lock. Better than ANY carnival ride!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Todd...you can save some wear on a FWD car if you get some of those cafeteria trays, put 'em under the rear tires, and then set the handbrake. Zero directional stability from the back end. (Or so I'm told, anyway- I don't own a FWD car.)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Todd...you can save some wear on a FWD car if you get some of those cafeteria trays, put 'em under the rear tires, and then set the handbrake. Zero directional stability from the back end. (Or so I'm told, anyway- I don't own a FWD car.)
Don't matter anymore. I blew that poor thing up in less than 2 years. After they put the tranny in under warranty, dad drove it to a Honda dealer and traded it for a four door Accord four cylinder auto. Sucked on power, but still had the parking brake to rip on at highway speed. :)

pretty sure i know the answer to this, but i assume you guys put it in gear AND set the parking brake. i tried just setting the parking brake last night and it didn't feel very solid - putting it in gear helped.

also, do you always put it in the same gear, or do you put it in a different gear if it could roll forwards/backwards?

again, sorry for the noob questions - i've driven several sticks for a long time, just trying to do the "right" thing

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I usually leave mine in Reverse, parking brake set, though I really don't think it's a big deal... Dad just leaves it in whatever gear he was in when he stopped (R, 1, or 2) and hasn't had any problems in 40+ years of driving them.

As to the brake....take it to a hill and see if the parking brake will hold it. There may be an adjustment on the cable, or (as on my truck) you may have to adjust (or possibly even replace) the rear brake shoes.

Even though I know that on most hills either the engine OR the brake is enough to hold my truck...why risk it? I'm just in the habit of always leaving it in gear, always setting the brake, and always releasing the brake before I start driving- easy and works pretty well.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ian is right about checking. CHECK those rear brakes to see if they'll hold the truck. You should feel very secure when using the e-brake, if not it probably needs adjustment (which is rather easy).

I never used to put my tacoma in gear when I parked, the brake worked great. If I ever drive another stick I'm going to make it a habit, though -- cuz I've got a friend who used to drive a Jeep with a stick and she would forget to put it in gear before going to class --- the parking brake would pop off and the car would roll into the one in front of her. Happened several times.

andym

Real men are fanatics
*Several* times? :)

I think I'd learn after it happened once.

Mechanically, leaving it in the lowest gear makes it hardest for the vehicle to turn the engine. My truck in 1st or reverse isn't going ANYWHERE.

I have heard stories from guys with worn-out engines where they would park the truck on a hill and it would slowly roll away in gear because the rings wouldn't seal tight.

When I park it, I roll up to a stop with the clutch and the brake in. After I stop the engine, I step on the brakes as hard as I can, take my left foot off the clutch, and stomp on the parking brake. Then I let go of the hydraulic brakes. I figure I get them good and tight with the brakes and then the e-brake keeps them there.

Never had a rollaway yet. I also have forgotten to release the brake once or twice and the truck wouldn't move at all.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I have heard stories from guys with worn-out engines where they would park the truck on a hill and it would slowly roll away in gear because the rings wouldn't seal tight.

Mine will do that on a REALLY steep hill- there's just not a lot of engine to hold it, and it's certainly not as tight as it was when new... Part of why I ALWAYS set the brake.

andym

Real men are fanatics
My truck's too rough-and-tumble for you anyway bud. Besides, this is from a guy who drives an automatic.

smilietease

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts