Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Explorer Mods

What Mod to do first?

• K&N Filter/Cold air intake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tinted windows (driver&passenger side front)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Bug Shield

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • It's your wife's, leave it alone.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
The other day I was looking at my wifes Explorer and the mod bug hit me. I have a few things I would like to do to it now. I guess I just can't leave the vehicles alone. I like to personalize them. So let me know what you all think I should do to it first.YelloThumbUp

It's a 2003 AWD Explorer with the 4.0 V6. Dark blue like my truck. I'll try and get some better pic's of it.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
K&N air filters, and intakes are a waste of money. They can actually do more harm than good by passing oil and dirt! I voted to leave it alone.......

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
K&N air filters, and intakes are a waste of money. They can actually do more harm than good by passing oil and dirt! I voted to leave it alone.......

I have heard this about the K&N stuff. I think AEM makes one that doesn't use oil on the filter, will they still do harm?

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I have heard this about the K&N stuff. I think AEM makes one that doesn't use oil on the filter, will they still do harm?

I've heard the AEM filter is better from passing dirt also. Just remember one thing, the OEM filter, and intake are not restrictive, and it is a CAI!!!
So, use OEM paper filters, and change them regularly!

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I've heard the AEM filter is better from passing dirt also. Just remember one thing, the OEM filter, and intake are not restrictive, and it is a CAI!!!
So, use OEM paper filters, and change them regularly!

Thanks for the advice Bob. I had a Ranger a few years back that I put a K&N FIPK in and it seemed to pep it up a little, but I did not keep it long enough to experience any long term effects. Since it is my wifes and I will not be driving it alot it would probably be best to leave that alone and just keep the OEM replaced regularly. YelloThumbUp

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
Thanks for the advice Bob. I had a Ranger a few years back that I put a K&N FIPK in and it seemed to pep it up a little, but I did not keep it long enough to experience any long term effects. Since it is my wifes and I will not be driving it alot it would probably be best to leave that alone and just keep the OEM replaced regularly. YelloThumbUp

What you experienced with your Ranger is called the "Placebo Effect", along with more noise.........

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
sounds like someone needs chrome valve covers for HIS truck.

Ryan

I think your money's better spent on getting your eye candy some eye candy... diamonds work wonders.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I voted for window tint to keep other guys from eyeing your wife! :rofl: Or, to allow her to ogle other guys without them knowing. Oh, you're perfect, you don't need to worry about that!!:cooldude:

As for the K&N. I had a '96 F-250 5.8L. I put 25,000 on it with the stock intake then switched over to a K&N kit. It upped the MPG by 1.2. I sold it with 145,000 and had no problems at all. I had been trying hard to blow it up by then, but the damned thing is still going strong with it's new owner.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
I think you should ask your wife what she would want done to her car. After all, she is the one that has to drive it. So I voted leave it alone. :)

Bob is probably correct about the K&N. I ran one almost the entire life of my old ranger with no apparent ill effects. My brother is still driving it daily with 193,000 miles on the stock engine. As far as power, probably only noise, but its a lot cheaper than throwing away paper filters for life.

I have a mac intake on my explorer now. The chrome looks nice and I never have to buy another filter.

If you want to try a K&N drop in, PM me. I have a new one (just not in the original box). It is for the 4.0 SOHC. They are about $60 new.

I have another mac filter for mine (in case I damage it) as well as one of the stainless steel ones to try.

I do eventually want to tint the front windows, but that could be a long time off. I have an explorer express rear sway bar to install on it.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I think you should just buy her the mustang and be done with it! LOL Obviously I voted for Other.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I think you should ask your wife what she would want done to her car. After all, she is the one that has to drive it. So I voted leave it alone. :)

You are probably right but I just can't leave anything alone. I will ask her. If she wants me to leave it alone I guess I'll just do something to my girlfriends car. :rolleyes:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts