Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Praise The Day!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm very pleased to announce that my 'shudder from a stop' that I've been chasing for the past 1.5+ years is officially GONE!! The solution was right under my nose the entire time!

For those of you who aren't familiar... Since I bought my truck it has shuddered every time I started accelerating from a stop. When I was looking to buy the truck, my brother drove it and suggested that it was because the truck was lifted but the center driveshaft support bearing (some people call it a carrier bearing) did not get dropped down after the lift. So I bought some shims and shimmed it down a bit, the problem got BETTER but it never went away.

Finally I found a driveline shop in Sacramento and they said they'd look at my driveline angles for free (great shop). So he had a look a couple weeks ago and told me I could use every bit of another 1/2" worth of shims. So I put in another 1/2" and it got DRASTICALLY better, but it was still there. So I went down and bought some longer bolts and put ANOTHER 1/4" shim in there. The driveshaft is DAMN near straight and the shudder is GONE!! SEE YA SUCKER!! :wavey:

I am so freakin jazzed you guys have no clue. Imagine your teeth chattering every time you leave a stop sign/red light/parking spot/etc. It got real old REAL fast. Some of you might remember me saying "I'm real close to selling this truck." Well put your check books away Larry and Brad, it's here to stay now :)

Special thanks to Tony and ESPECIALLY Brad. Tony you know your stuff with lifted trucks and your expertise over the phone was ALWAYS helpful.

Brad, your patience with me on the phone (hour after hour) and your ideas and motivation to get my truck FIXED were really the catalyst behind this repair. I had pretty much given up the battle before you came along; you're the one who kept me driven. Couldn't have done it without you buddy, I owe you big. Take a trip out to California and I'll treat you to a real nice dinner, thats a promise.

Anyways, what's a Skandocious post without any pictures, right?! Here ya go!

DSC01380Custom.jpg

DSC01381Custom.jpg

DSC01382Custom.jpg

Yeah it's got a full inch + 1/8" worth of shims in there. And no that's not my bike. So don't bother trying to make any hippie jokes 'biteme'

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
In case anyone cares, here's what it looked like before the additional shims that the driveline shop suggested:

DSC00888.jpg

Oh and before they painted it too! :)

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Glad u got it fixed . Those things can be really annoying.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
hey skan NICE JUGS!
Hahahahaha and JUST when I thought I had covered all bases. I looked at those water jugs and thought "I can't think of a damned thing they could say about this"... But then HERE comes Travis...

You definitely deserve reps for that

Even though... :thatwasgay:

EDIT: No reps for you... Gotta spread em. Someone give him reps for me!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Glad to hear it's gone. Where did you get the shims?
There's a Central4wd up near my moms house, they had them in stock. They're Pro Comp shims and those suckers ain't cheap for what you get... I remember they were somewhere round $50 for the set. Comes with

(2x) 3/8" shims
(2x) 1/4" shims
(2x) 1/8" shims

Allows you to make many different combinations all the way up to 1 and 1/2" inches. I believe I said I've got 1 and 1/8" inches in there... Sorry I miscalculated. I'm using all of the shims except for a 1/8".. So I've got 1 and 3/8" inches in there.

Michigan
Good Deal! Glad you got er fixed.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
aahh its no fun anymore.. i cant pic on you anymore lol.. congrats buddy happy for yah... no more ass massage everytime from a stop

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I believe someone thought it was the carrier bearing! LOL (ok so it wasn't the bearing itself, but still the general area!!!)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Credit goes to my brother for having the ORIGINAL idea that it was the carrier bearing needing to be shimmed down. He's been saying that since the day I bought it and it turns out that he's right.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah mine was the bearing itself but same vibe! Really glad you got it fixed!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts