Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General efi 460 build plan...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So as I've said time and time again, Thunder has been sitting for some time and has been neglected. The time has come to where I can do something about it, it's time to get her back on the road. I'm not planning on an extreme build, relatively mild...but the results should yield 100rwhp...which will put me at the upper limit of the stock fuel system. The following is the general road map I plan on doing getting there, as time allows:

-.020 or .030 engine rebuild kit
-Heads decked .030/block decked .020 to increase squelch and CR
-Open up intake valves to 2.11
-Cam kit...I have a couple in mind, but want to talk with Comp and Lunati for best fit application and/or custom grind...and for a little advice on springs.
-Double roller timing set
-Port match heads/stock intake for better flow
-Thorley Tri-Y's for better flow

Then if I need a little extra help:
-Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for help at WOT
-Custom Tune to get rid of any deadspots or gremlins

Big assembly will definitely be done by myself. Not sure if I'll have access (or ability) for the machining yet, but I have a couple buddies that might be willing to show me. I'm also not sure if I wanna play with the heads (didn't really enjoy taking apart or putting the broncos back together).

So...any of you guys have any suggestions, don't like what you see or have something I need to know or look out for???

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Since I'm not an engineer and didn't know exactly how to match the valvetrain up properly, I loved that Comp had the kits ready to go. Why try to outsmart people that are smarter than me?

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Agreed...I'm pretty confident in my ability to bolt all this stuff together, but really have no clue what effect each part could/would have at different points in the stream. Hell...none of these numbers or parts were 100% derived by me, I had a generally idea of what needed to happen...but the specifics came from an annual engine masters competitor on 460 ford.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I'm out of the loop on BBf now. But there are a few BBf websites. I'm pulling a blank right now.
Conaski is very smart with the efi gig particularly sbf stuff but he could help you out. Rob (monsterbaby)
Could be found on fte very intelligent BBf guy.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Actually sounds like you're on the right path, those EFI 460s were pretty choked up for emissions reasons so getting them to breath is going to help.

I'm out of the loop on BBf now. But there are a few BBf websites. I'm pulling a blank right now.
Conaski is very smart with the efi gig particularly sbf stuff but he could help you out. Rob (monsterbaby)

Seth (Proelator), Chris (hotrodTA) and Allen (fordraceboy) are also guys to talk to on BBF stuff. They're on other boards though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Thanks...haven't seen much of Conanski, and Rob and myself never really had much love for eachother on the other site.

Seth (Proelator), Chris (hotrodTA) and Allen (fordraceboy) are also guys to talk to on BBF stuff. They're on other boards though.

Yeah...I planned on posting up on NWU.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts