Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pressure Washing the Engine on the bump

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ok fellas, I think I'm getting a pressure washer for Father's Day and I really want to clean the engine on my bump.

I've gotten some tips on here before, but wanted to button them up if I could....

Should I cover the distributor cap, then spray the degreaser, then go to town on the washer?

Any other tips I need to know so I don't ruin anything?

Thanks for the help!

Another thing that's kinda boggling me is why all that oil seapage just below the valve covers...is that something that is happening continually or over time, cause I've been through a 1/2 dozen fill ups of fuel and this thing does not burn 1 drop of oil! Pretty wild. I also parked it on my driveway for a few weeks to see if any leaks, and not one darn leak....awesome! axles are dry, but show a little oil on them but it looks like it's been there a while in the pictures below. And I'm not sure why the little wet spot on the shocks.

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Cover the dist, the battery, and any wires that are not insulated/protected well. Soak the whole cold engine in degreaser & let it sit a few minutes. Then hit it with the water.

Plastic bags & twist ties are your friends!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Cover the dist, the battery, and any wires that are not insulated/protected well. Soak the whole cold engine in degreaser & let it sit a few minutes. Then hit it with the water.

Plastic bags & twist ties are your friends!

Agreed, but I'd expand that to anything electrical (except plug wires).

As for the oil seepage...have you check the oil levels? If no considerable level drop, probably just time for some new gaskets. Have you tried just simply re-torquing the bolts? It wouldn't be uncommon for them to be finger tight.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Also Ken, remember you won't always need the pressure washer; use a regular hose until it doesn't come off; that can save you from tearing up any wires.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Agreed, but I'd expand that to anything electrical (except plug wires).

As for the oil seepage...have you check the oil levels? If no considerable level drop, probably just time for some new gaskets. Have you tried just simply re-torquing the bolts? It wouldn't be uncommon for them to be finger tight.

Good point Ben.....when I first bought the bump, someone on here mentioned that and I went outside and you could turn the bolts with your fingers, exactly as you said......I just tightened them and they're all set. Probably just old oil seepage from the loose bolts.

I have checked the oil level at each fill up as I don't know the truck as well yet and want to make sure I get a feel for how it needs to be driven and maintained....so far, not even the slightest change....this motor is awesome...need to get the timing checked as suggested before and a few other things. I'll give it a good major tune up before it starts snowing.

Also Ken, remember you won't always need the pressure washer; use a regular hose until it doesn't come off; that can save you from tearing up any wires.

Good idea.....I bet after this washing (looks like it's never been cleaned before), it should be good to go for a long time and look spiffy. Thanks,

I'd pressure wash all that you possibly can, and what you think needs just regular garden hose, do that. I would also power wash the underneath and undercoat the whole underneath of the truck. I usually do that a couple times a year, prevents rust

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'd pressure wash all that you possibly can, and what you think needs just regular garden hose, do that. I would also power wash the underneath and undercoat the whole underneath of the truck. I usually do that a couple times a year, prevents rust

Yup, one of the things on my "Bump to do" list this summer. I actually bought all the material to convert and encapsulate the frame and axles from Eastwoods.....looking forward to doing this to preserve the frame long term as it will be my winter driver.

Yup, one of the things on my "Bump to do" list this summer. I actually bought all the material to convert and encapsulate the frame and axles from Eastwoods.....looking forward to doing this to preserve the frame long term as it will be my winter driver.

Sounds good man. What about repaintin the engine and engine bay after you get it all cleaned up under there. Fresh Ford blue on engine and fresh semi or gloss black in the engine bay would look good.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Sounds good man. What about repaintin the engine and engine bay after you get it all cleaned up under there. Fresh Ford blue on engine and fresh semi or gloss black in the engine bay would look good.

That would be nice.....depends on how much is involved in doing so....I only have so much time. smilieFordlogo

That would be nice.....depends on how much is involved in doing so....I only have so much time. smilieFordlogo

I did mine, should be able to get it done in a couple days work. Not bad at all.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Pressure washed yesterday!

Before:

IMG_0334.JPG

After
engine_clean_front_view.jpg

IMG00115-20110619-1806.jpg

Before:

IMG_0333.JPG

After
engine_clean_left.jpg

Before:

IMG_0332.JPG

After
IMG00114-20110619-1805.jpg

I'm real happy with how everything came out. I got my pressure washer from HF for father's day and did what you fellas suggested....I covered the distributor, battery's, and there were two electrical boxes on each side of the engine bay (not sure what these were, but I wrapped those up in plastic also), plus an electrical switch on the back end of the engine bay wall (I plan on having this removed also - it was used to shut off power to all the lights and such when it was with the FD). I sprayed an entire can of degreaser every where I could and let it soak for a few hours, then got the washer and went to town. Pictures don't do it justice...it looks real good. I want to take the valve covers and air cleaner off now and sand it and paint it blue.

After I washed everything, I pulled the plastic off and jump in and she started right up....made me happy. Thanks again for all the tips. Now on to the next thing to do with the bump.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looking good Ken...wanna come down my way and make yourself useful...haha.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Looking good Ken...wanna come down my way and make yourself useful...haha.

I'm not sure you can afford me. smilietease

That cleaned up right nice.

Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised!

Good job Ken. I did mine at the do it yourself car wash so I wouldn't have to worry about all the krud that came off.

Thanks. This is one thing I didn't think of....lots of crud came off and on the ground....but no biggy.

once you get the big gunk off, try castrol super clean, it takes the rest really nice. Also spray it on rubber (tires, windshield gasket, etc), then pressure wash. You won't believe how black and clean the rubber will be. After, put Armor All tire foam on the tires, it is unbelivable!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
once you get the big gunk off, try castrol super clean, it takes the rest really nice. Also spray it on rubber (tires, windshield gasket, etc), then pressure wash. You won't believe how black and clean the rubber will be. After, put Armor All tire foam on the tires, it is unbelivable!

Will do..

did ya get one of the Electric pressure washers?

It was a sale on email....she bought me the blue electric 1500 psi yes... worked awesome!

Looks good Ken!

Thanks Duncan.

Looks alot better

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts