Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tire question 78 F250 4x4

I have 16x8 wheels and im needing some tires bad. it has 265/75r16 on it now. Im wanting something a lil bigger, but im not wanting to run into rubbing issues. sizes im thnking of are 285-70r16 and 305-70r16. my truck is all stock. Im leaning towards the 305's but would they rub? im not looking to do any mods to make them fit.

Thanks,
Evan

well anyways has any1 had any rubbing probs with a dentside with big tires? mines a f250 4x4. with the factory lift

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
If your truck has the 4 inch factory lift than you can actually run 315s or 35s. I have 315-75-16 on mine and I don't have any rubbing at all. I even think you can go a bit larger, but will be tight. Oh and I have 16x10 wheels. I think 16x8 is the smallest width you can have with 315s or 35s, but not sure.

Last edited:
ok thanks man

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dude...the 305 is basically a 33, you'll be able to fit that no problem. And they will fit on a 16x8 rim with no problem. The problem lies in your backspacing of the rim...ie are your rims pushed so far out that you'll be eating fender, or tucked so far in you'll be eating frame. More than likely neither of these will be the issue, but if you have any more details on the back spacing of the rims, we could give you a more definite answer. But my gut says you won't have a problem at all.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
If your truck has the 4 inch factory lift than you can actually run 315s or 35s. I have 315-75-16 on mine and I don't have any rubbing at all. I even think you can go a bit larger, but will be tight. Oh and I have 16x10 wheels. I think 16x8 is the smallest width you can have with 315s or 35s, but not sure.

Buck -

He says he has a '78, so it's not a Highboy.

Still, 33's run just fine on a 78-79 F250 4x4. That's what i have on mine. BFG AT's. Great tire. My only complaint is that they love to pick up stones.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Correct on the no highboy thing, those are the pre-77 1/2 trucks.

33 will fit, 35's will not. I ran 35's on my truck (79 F250) for a while with just add a leaves all the way around. There was room for them and they didn't rub, but they looked fairly stuffed in the wheelwells.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Buck -

He says he has a '78, so it's not a Highboy.

Still, 33's run just fine on a 78-79 F250 4x4. That's what i have on mine. BFG AT's. Great tire. My only complaint is that they love to pick up stones.

:headbang: LOL, I didn't even pay attention to the title! Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I didn't think about it when he said he had a factory lift in which the 78/79s don't have that so I figued he knew what he was talking about. Trucks bodies have changed over years so 78 may not be the right year, I don't know. Either way, IF and IF he has a 4 inch factory lift, 35s should fit.

Last edited:

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
No problem, Buck!

I guess that raises the question of whether or not he really has what the seller told him it was.

On edit: It does not look like a highboy in his avatar.

well, i honestly dnt know,it sits up higher than some f250 4x4's that i've seen. it does have the factory lift blocks on the springs. and it only has 265-75s on it now which are just 30 inch tires so ya cnt really tell. i honestly cant tell the diff of mine vs a 77. ?? mines a 78,made in january. every part ive taken off of it is labeled 1977. ik a highboy has divorced transfer and lift, but mines just got the lift blocks

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
ik a highboy has divorced transfer and lift, but mines just got the lift blocks

If you have a "married" t-case you have a 77.5-79 low-boy truck.

As far as lift blocks go, all 4wd trucks trucks came with them.

Some may say that the high boy trucks are better, but in my (and many others) opinion, you have the better truck. Congrats!:beer:

If you have a "married" t-case you have a 77.5-79 low-boy truck.

As far as lift blocks go, all 4wd trucks trucks came with them.

Some may say that the high boy trucks are better, but in my (and many others) opinion, you have the better truck. Congrats!:beer:

hell ya, so really the only diff of the highboy is the t-case thats wht i thought? ok so wht is the pros of the divorced t-case? and guys ik it aint a highboy, i just said it has the factory 4inch lift blocks,most did

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
High-boy trucks have low pinion front axles, some have front drum brakes and closed knuckles, the rear springs are 2.5"s wide (low boy's are 3"), the rear part of the frame is narrower on the HB trucks, the steering system on the HB trucks is entirely different from the LB trucks (the LBs steering set up is better).......there may be more, but that's what I can recall at the moment.

I may P O some people by saying this, and don't get me wrong because I have a passon for all dentsides, but the only thing that makes a HB better than a LB is the taller ride height. That can be EASILY fixed in a LB........even using HB front springs.

well i can understand how that would be better, and ya i like em all too. so since most, like mine have the lift blocks like the hiboys do..are the hiboys lift blocks just a lil more, like 2 or 3 inches more??

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
No hiboys use more "arched" springs with more leaves in them on both ends.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
High-boy trucks have low pinion front axles, some have front drum brakes and closed knuckles, the rear springs are 2.5"s wide (low boy's are 3"), the rear part of the frame is narrower on the HB trucks, the steering system on the HB trucks is entirely different from the LB trucks (the LBs steering set up is better).......there may be more, but that's what I can recall at the moment.

I may P O some people by saying this, and don't get me wrong because I have a passon for all dentsides, but the only thing that makes a HB better than a LB is the taller ride height. That can be EASILY fixed in a LB........even using HB front springs.

I would think there is something better with a divorced T case along with the front springs. The weight distribution would be different up front on a highboy along with having a "beefier" front spring. What's the big reason? Is it better for having snow plows up front or off roading? I'm not sure.

I would think there is something better with a divorced T case along with the front springs. The weight distribution would be different up front on a highboy along with having a "beefier" front spring. What's the big reason? Is it better for having snow plows up front or off roading? I'm not sure.

ya i'd think they could haul a lil heavier load, i couldnt tell u the pros and cons of the diff t-cases. HB and LB both seem 2 have their pros and cons

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts