Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Just some updates on the build...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Ok took advantage of the warm day today and got some stuff done on the truck. As some of you know I had an issue with my intercooler pump on testdrive #2, and I believe I burnt a couple valves as I have no compression on #5 and #6 cylinders now. So time to pull the motor again... Anyway here are some pics of what I got done today.

First off is started in the driveway where is has been sitting for about 6 months. Dead. jumped it funning on 5 cylinders and backed it in the garage. then proceeded to tear it down...

Nov2010FrontAway.jpg

Nov2010FrontClose.jpg

Nov2010PassQuarter.jpg

Nov2010DriverQuarter.jpg

Oh yeah and before I could even move it I had to break into it as after I started it, I jumped out to remove the jumper cables and it died. door closed and guess what was locked!!! Damn.

This is what happens trying to break into the truck throught the back glass...

BrokeBackGlass.jpg

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Did you cut the hole on top of the rad support for engine removal or is that factory? Do you weld/bolt a piece back onto that?

I have an idea on a set up for that. I will unveil it as I get it done but should be like a quick pin setup. Is that bad??!! LOL just more for ease of pulling the motor. Otherwise I have to deflate the tires all the way to get the motor high enough to clear it.

With as many times as you have pulled the motor arfe you creeping up on nhra rebuild times yet?

LMAO I can pull that motor from this point in about an hour and a half.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Ok...

I was out in the garage scewing around with it and pulled some stuff off the motor... See if you can see the issue I found right away....

Photo0220.jpg

Photo0219.jpg

Ok here is a closeup of it...
Photo0221.jpg

And here is what is missing....

Photo0224.jpg

Photo0222.jpg

Photo0227.jpg

I am really wondering how it pulled itself in the garage. If that chain was broke when I fired it up to move it, I only had 3 cylinders on the other side of the block that were plugged in! WOW

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Things are starting to look good that is was just the timing chain!!!! So far all the fingers are pointing that way! one more test this weekend to confirm. If that is the case I have a spare set of chains here at the house that are brand new.

This could be the first thing that goes right with the build we shall see!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Build #??????????? smilietease

Sayin prayers that's all it was brother!!

I think of pulling my engine like shots of Tequilia...I lose count after 5 or 6! LMAO

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Bad Drivers side timing chain tensioner! Got both on order for tomorrow and will be putting her back together!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Gonna pick up the parts after Girlscouts this afternoon and start. Always a good sign when you can turn the wrench to "tighten".

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah cause then I can start on my other project....

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
hmm well I am going to pull the head tomorrow... put the chain on and still no compression on 5 and 6. oh well I shall pull the head and fix it.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
No Vince, I didn't get a chance to get a compressor from dads this weekedn so I put it all together and turned it over. Still nothing on 5 and 6. I just pulled the head off and the valves looked fine....No cracks out of them or anything. Now its time to start figuring out why i have no compression.

a few things I can think of right off the top of my head...

1. the valves aren't seating (but it was running before, so I can't figure why they would all of the sudden shoot craps on those cylinders, although I did have some VERY HOT air blowing into the cylinder when the supercharger overheated.)
2. Rings are seating good as I am building awesome oil pressure and no gas in the oil pan.
3. I am getting no blowby on the gasket that I can tell.

IDK kinda wierd. I will see if I can get some pics up tonight yet.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
OK intake valve on the #5 cylinder is bent/broke, I am thinking one of the other valves is #6 is bent as well. gonna replace them tomorrow and see what comes of it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts