Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tonneau cover

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
mine is starting to get worn out so I've been thinking about getting a new one. any ideas or suggestions. I've looked a little at the soft folding tonneau's and the ones that lift but can't really make up my mind.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm shopping for one, too. Definitely going for a roll-out one.

Leaning toward the Lund Genesis- Aaron had one and recommended it, plus it's got a lifetime warranty. Truxedo LoPro also gets good reviews, but it's more than I'm willing to spend.

I don't like hard tonneaus...too limiting, in my opinion. If I needed a hard cover on the bed of my truck, I'd get a cap- I don't like caps, but they have their place.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^I'd kind of decided that style wasn't worth the extra $50 over the roll-up.

Though, I must admit, I'm rethinking that now (a good time to do it, as I haven't ordered one yet).

There's a truck just like mine that I walk past most mornings at work; he's got the Lund Tri-fold on it and it always looks good- tight, square, no funny lines where it folds.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I'm looking at it more for the ease of getting to the front of the bed. I have a roll up now and had a bed full this weekend so I spent a lot of time crawling under it to get things out. It's not hard to roll mine up but it would have taken longer to roll up and put back on then it would have to crawl under it.

the extang has an optional canvas cover. I wonder how much better it would be.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm looking at it more for the ease of getting to the front of the bed. I have a roll up now and had a bed full this weekend so I spent a lot of time crawling under it to get things out. It's not hard to roll mine up but it would have taken longer to roll up and put back on then it would have to crawl under it.

Been there, done that. Used to have a snap-style on the '97 Ranger. Not even close to worth unsnapping to get at the front of the bed.

What style is your current roll-up? The ones with latches and velcro looked like they'd be pretty quick/easy to open and get to the front of the bed, though I guess it would still be slower than the tri-fold type.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
my current cover is one that latches into the groove on the rail. it's fairly easy to take on and off but is easier to roll up with two people.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Lemme just be one to say, stay away from the hard covers. Between my father and I, there have been 4 hard covers on Thunder. No matter how much they say it's a no-rub cover or the spacers/padding will protect your paint, they won't. Worst of all, since they only open at about a 45* angle, if you want anything from the wheel well forward, you're climbing on in instead of just reaching over. Rant/

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I'm starting to really lean towards the tri-fold. I figure with that I should be able to have access almost all the way to the front of the bed and if need be I could take it off completely and store it fairly easy, even in the cab if I had to.

THe DiamondBack truck covers that I mention above opens both at the rear and at the front. The other thing I like about them if we go some place and need somewhere to stand or sit above a crowd etc you can do that without message with the cover. I had a cover on a small foreign PU that used velcro to hold the sides onto the bed. It lasted about 3 to 4 years before the velcro wore out. On by F250 I had a cap because of hauling and storing tack for horses. It was OK until it decided to start leaking and could not get it stopped. The factory could not get it stopped either.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I don't really need one but I like the one I have. I also think if I didn't have one the back of my truck would get used as a trash bin at work.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
probably will but I'm trying to get more info on the canvas top option they have. I assume it's similar to a canvas jeep top but I don't have any experience with those either.

Ford Truck Articles