Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Will I be disappointed?

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Im thinking about gettin a new 6.4, I love my 7.3 and absolutly hate the 6.0s...drove an 08 yesterday and am considering a 2008 red crew cab short bed...the only thing i can see me puttin on yesterday after drivin it ,for a while anyways, is a 5 inch straight from the filter back....

blacksnapon

Staff member
Im thinking about gettin a new 6.4, I love my 7.3 and absolutly hate the 6.0s...drove an 08 yesterday and am considering a 2008 red crew cab short bed...the only thing i can see me puttin on yesterday after drivin it ,for a while anyways, is a 5 inch straight from the filter back....
They are very sensitive to ANY changes. And....I CAN SEE WHEN THERE HAS BEEN A PROGRAMMER INSTALLED. Dont believe the programmer manufacturers. Ford has held back some information (even from the dealership level).

BIGRED911

Charter Member
After my test drive...untill my seat of the pants panic attack goes away, i dont see the need for a programmer yet...maybe sumthing to lock the tranny up better but thats a big maybe...and i know i wont get much sound out of it but a 5 inch is a must...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thats what I have been noticing. After 1500-2000 miles they settle in. Its almost like they take that much time to "learn" your driving habits.

blacksnapon

Staff member
or is it a fool proof break in program so idiots dont get carried away with the new motor? cat is doin it with all the acert motors...
That could be as well. One definate, is this one is VERY complex. The computer system is much, much more complex than a 6.0.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
i dont plan on puttin many performance goodies on it for quite a while...the 5 inch is mandatory.. dunno yet tho.... may swap the stack from big red...

If your smart, you will wait till the warranty is up to do any mods!!!YelloThumbUp

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
As far as i know a 5 inch straight pipe from the DPF back wont void any warranty...

You need to read the warranty "fine print". The last one I read, it was very explicit about intake and/or exhaust mods. I also found this, concerning warranties:

"The fault isn't all with the dealership and its personnel, though, as Ford is continually getting more and more strict in terms of what repairs it'll cover. According to Joe Amato of Downs Ford, an SVT dealership in Toms River, New Jersey, "Ford has it set up now where, say, a customer comes in with a ripped molding in the interior; we actually have to take a digital picture and e-mail it to Ford and get an approval before we even order the parts. God forbid you need an engine; you have to go through about 20 steps before you can get an approval for it. Ford wants to know if the pulleys have been changed, if the mass air meter has been changed; they want to know everything and get pictures of everything. Ford, with how many claims they deny now, is saving itself millions of dollars. It's getting so strict that anything you do to the car, you're taking the chance of having to pay the bill yourself."

According to another dealership's warranty administrator, "If it's regular work, it's no problem. But if the car is having a transmission problem, or engine problem, then you have to call Ford on the phone and they ask you all kinds of stuff. It's enough if the rear tires are worn excessively-it's considered abuse, and they deny the claim. If you see something like this, it might jeopardize the claim, depending on whether Ford assumes it contributed to the failure or not. Most likely, if there is a chip in the PCM, or there are headers or pulleys, they'll most likely deny the claim because they'll say the car isn't being used as a regular car; it's being used for racing. They'll cancel the customer's warranty. They can also cancel the warranty on the engine only or the transmission only. They're very tight on money right now, so with all this new technology-computers, digital pictures, and so on-they can watch a lot of things from afar."

Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Just cuz it aint no sick blow...
Nope, because of the complexity involved in mods. If I were you, I'd take some money and fix up that 7.3L and the rest of the truck. Ain't nothin' on ol' Red you can't fix right. Even though you've treated her rough, she's still an awesome truck!! If nothing else, look for another "not so used" 7.3L if you really want a newer truck. I wouldn't touch the 6.4L with a 10 ft. pole. At least not until I KNOW all the bugs are worked out and the aftermarket KNOWS what they're doing with them. And the next time, I'd wait until the warranty is at least CLOSE to up before I started messing with it.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
True...but....simply unbolting the pipe from the DPF and bolting up a larger less restrictive one is going to do absolutly nothin to the warrentied parts...besides i hate the looks of the "dual" tips...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts