Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ZF Transmission

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I am doing research to find a 5 speed ZF transmission for my '85 460. Everything dates '87 and up. So are these still compatible with my block? If not what should I be looking for? I would like a good 4x4 5 speed tranny.

Thanks

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i would think any ZF5 destined for a Big block ford would fit your engine

if you find a 1987-1996 ZF trans for a Diesel or a Big block it will fit your engine

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
On top of that i have been told the gasser has a close ratio and the diesel a wide ratio....
Or i could have that backwards... Either way there not the same internally.

Fellro

Staff member
I have a trans from a 92, but the problem with it for you is that it has no provision for a speedo cable. You have to find one from an87-91 to get the cable hookup.

Fellro

Staff member
You would have to get the housing machined, and then I can't say if there is any provisions to be able to drive the gear on the output shaft. In basic, some form of aftermarket setup would have to be found and used. The 92 and later trucks read off the rear axle for the speedo. Are you looking to do 2wd or 4wd? This is a 2wd tranny.

Fellro

Staff member
Since you are doing 4wd, you don't have to be concerned with the speedo problem, just need to hook your t-case to the ZF you find, so that opens up to more years. I don't know the output shaft compatibility of the different transmissions to transfer cases though.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I am looking to do a doubler so I need some thing that will hook up to a NP203, but I also know there are a lot of adapter kits out there.

Fellro

Staff member
It is all one case, you have to find one with your specific bell.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
when you do finally get around to the install, make sure the slave cylinder is brand new... Its not fun to spend half a day pulling the trans to undo a bolt and replace the slave cylinder for your clutch...
Speaking from expierence here.

Fellro

Staff member
The 460 version has the slave external, so not as much of an issue like the 351W version, but still worth having it done so you don't have to worry about it. Might consider a new master as well.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Thanks for the heads up... I considered the master but had forgotten about the slave... I am guessing I need new flywheel as well, and obviously the clutch plate, pressure plate and throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. Anything else? The donor truck has the pedals.

Ford Truck Articles