Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question about a harmonic balancer and timing

dreamison

Texas Chapter member
Hey,
I am trying to set the base timing on my new engine and just had a thought. I installed a 1997 explorer 5.0 in my 91 f-150 and used a new(reman) harmonic balancer for a 91 truck 5.0 mostly because of the pulleys not lining up. I am trying to figure out if the timing marks would be the same for the two engines, one being regular firing order and the other being HO firing order. I ask because I was sure I had TDC on cyl 1 and it lined up with the 0 mark on the balancer but when I put the timing light on it (spout removed) it was running rough at 24 degrees ATC I was able to turn the dist until it was about 16 ATC and it was running better but I ran out of room so I have to pull it and reset it so I can turn it more. Will try and get it to 10 BTC in the morning. Any thoughts?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not sure if the balancer is compatible... But if you got the #1 cylinder to TDC and it was lining up with the 0* mark on the balancer then I'm inclined to believe you're okay.

On a gen 9 with a 5.0 the base timing should be 10* BTDC with the spout disconnected. 24 ATC is WAY off. Are you sure you're checking the #1 cylinder? Front passenger cylinder.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i installed a 1996 Explorer engine in a 1989 f150 i had to use the F150 5.0 timing cover and timing marker from the F150 and the F150 harmonic balancer to get the timing mark to be good

on my carbed engine Base timing is about 12 BTDC deg and full timing is about 34

in your case remove the spout and set base at 10 BTDC

dreamison

Texas Chapter member
Yea I used everything from the truck engine. Timing cover, marker and harmonic balancer. I think my dist must be off a tooth or two. Im going to go mess with it.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Yup, sure sounds like you're gonna re-stab that dizzy.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea bro, all 5.0s are pritty much the same setup. Parts all almost all the same for most engines, yea your def a tooth or 2 out. Reset to TDC and pull the cap, and see where the rotor is. Then you will know whats whats.

dreamison

Texas Chapter member
I set the timing to 10* BTC and the truck starts and idles well but doesn't seem to be developing the power it should. Almost no torque, revs good in neutral but sounds and feels like its bogged down when I pull out on the hwy. I bumped it up to 11* BTC and it has more power but still feels like it has alot less power than the old truck motor did. How far can I push the timing before I get into trouble. I know on an old galaxie I had it felt the same way kinda like it couldn't get out of its own way until my machine shop advanced the timing then she would spin both tires from the stoplight. Everything else is good, its not missing or anything, just lacking the power. If its not timing what else could be robbing power? Fuel pressure good, new exhaust, new injectors, sound great revving in neutral.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
any mods on the explorer engine?? it should have a Gt40P heads and the same cam as an 1995+ F150's

dreamison

Texas Chapter member
Has the gt40 heads not the p heads. Only mods are MAF conversion and 3" single exhaust. All MAF stuff from 95 f150 5.0. I used all the stuff from the truck engine, intake, timing cover etc...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
it should have a lot of power!!.. mine 1996 Explorer engine with Gt40 headers and a mild cam hauls and 14BTDC !! soo your gotta be good too

double chek that timing oh and what trans u got behind it??

dreamison

Texas Chapter member
I played with the air tube today and reconfigured it. I also built an aluminum box to hold the air filter, k&n cone. Have to fix an exhaust leak in the morning and re-check the timing. I have an E4OD tranny.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I think this was already answered, but #1 cylinder is in the same spot no matter the firing order, so balancer should be the same, I would think.
Unless the key on the crank (and thus the balancer) is in a different position on the two engines, relative to the timing marks on the balancer ring.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts