Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any Regrets???

OK, we've got a few 6.0 guys on here now and my question is, do any of you have any regrets?

I myself, have yet to have even a hickup with mine at 35,500 miles. I realize that's a low mileage, but after following the 6.0 horror stories on the boards from the time it was launched, I consider that a plus.

I did the (by some people's standards) unthinkable, traded in an '03 7.3 for my '05. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my '03, it's just that in the summer of '05 Ford came out with employee pricing along with rebates and the Harley truck bug bit me......Another words, it was an impulse purchase thing, or as my wife likes to refer to it as mid life crisis.

goose.. you keep talking about things going good w/the truck, you'll condemn yourself to breakdown hell.
running well-----i never comment. i comment---- BANG

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
06 F350 CC Lariat PSD.

Had what I thought was the dreaded leak but after a good dealership taking time to explain things to me and monitor it for me it was determined not to be a leak. 22,000 or so good miles.

Only regret is I don't have the guts, or money, to do some of the cool mods I hear people talking about like lifts and tuners and such.

Solid truck in my opinion. YelloThumbUp

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Only regret is I don't have the guts, or money, to do some of the cool mods I hear people talking about like lifts and tuners and such.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hell, it don't take guts but shear stupidity helps. Actually, there's alot of things you can do that are performance adders AND help the longevity of the 6.0L. One is NOT NOS and Water/meth however.

CCV Mod is an easy do it yourself mod to get all that oil out of the CAC tubes and the intercooler and let the engine breathe cleaner air.

EGR Delete or just disconnect will help with the same. Disconnect or tuner mod to call for no EGR is simple to do. EGR Delete is a bit more to do, but could still be done in a weekend.

My spare engine will still get both the EGR Delete and the CCV mod. It will also get the Return Regulated Fuel System that helps get fuel to the #7 & #8 Injectors. On a truck with stock Injectors, this issue can be helped with a Fuel Crossover Line, which can be done in a driveway in a few hours (with ALOT of cussing too though).

For performance, talk to Matt at Spartan Diesel Technologies. www.SpartanDieselTech.com He can get you an xCal2 with some VERY mild tunes that'll help things out alot and NOT hurt the longevity of the engine. Or, he can help you blow it to h_ll if you really feel like having some fun!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
And for those that didn't already know it.

My 2006 F-250 CC Lariat 4x4 has 19,898 miles on it and it's now getting a 2004 Engine transplant. :) Some crap about the 2006 Engine not being able to run with a hole in the side and a piston or two missing. Sheesh, should run I think!!

And it's been modified since 2400 miles!!

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
todd there was a recall i think about rod bolts breaking or the rod itself. maybe you should ask vince and see what he thinks lol.

I've got no regrets, I've had some minor problems over time but nothing I would condemn the truck over... I'm going the route I'm going now BECAUSE I really like the truck :)

And for those that didn't already know it.

My 2006 F-250 CC Lariat 4x4 has 19,898 miles on it and it's now getting a 2004 Engine transplant. :) Some crap about the 2006 Engine not being able to run with a hole in the side and a piston or two missing. Sheesh, should run I think!!

And it's been modified since 2400 miles!!

You know with a little JB weld and some duct tape I bet you could make it run... Maybe not well but it'd run :rofl:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
My 06 has 48K on the clock. My truck pulls like an ape and runs like a rocket, and gets excellent fuel mileage to boot. Regrets? NONE WHAT SO EVER. My 06 is quite possibly the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
todd there was a recall i think about rod bolts breaking or the rod itself. maybe you should ask vince and see what he thinks lol.
I think I'll call him right now. I'll tell him it's an emergency and that you told me to. :D

On another website a poster is talking about buying a used 6.0. It's an '03 F-350, CC, SB, 2wd, Dually, 6.0, Trq Shift, Lariat, loaded w/250K on it. Its got a GN hitch, and a tonneu cover. This truck is like brand new on the outside. The paint is perfect. The interior has some wear on the steering wheel and the drivers seat but other than that is perfect and runs like a scalded dog! He got an Oasis report from the dealer and the last work it had done was at 173K, it had a reflash. As far as major work it had a 2 injectors replaced at 5400 miles, and had the fuel filter water seperator replaced because someone stripped the allen head drain plug out.

I just thought it might interest you guys with the 6.0 as this is an '03, the "problem child" year. It's one of those success stories the weak of heart need to read after reading some of the negative stories that are out there...

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Bah...

I was with a friend in his '95 F-350 with the 7.3 the day it rolled over 300k on the original drivetrain (except clutch) pulling a heavy trailer, and we happened to meet a guy who told us he'd finally replaced the 7.3 in his '00 at 620,000 miles! He hauled fifth-wheel campers professionally with it, and it looked brand-new, too.

That day is a big part of the reason I'm a 7.3 guy.

Nothing against the 6.0, mind you, but it hasn't earned my respect the way the 7.3 has, YET.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I have 104,000 miles on my 2003 Excursion 6.0L PSd and all is well.

Built March 31, 2003.

Bought new August 2003.

Change oil & filter every 5,000 miles.
(Used Motorcraft for 50,000 and Rotella-Syn since then)

Still have all 8 original C94 injectors.

Still have original EGR.

Still have original turbo.

I use fuel additives (Powerservice or Howes) in every tank fill-up.

I change fuel filters every 15,000 miles.

I change air filters every 30,000 miles.

I flush my tranny with Mercon SP fluid (only) every 30,000 miles.

Flush and refill cooling system with Ford Premium Gold coolant (and distilled water) every 50,000 miles.

Personally, my 6.0L is doing well and I am very happy with it. All that was replaced was a lower radiator hose under warrenty for rubbing, turbo pedastal per TSB and all updates computer/PCM flashes.

It appears (to me) that a 6.0L motor is either built well and runs well or has issues.. and not much in between. Most issues come from people that want to make their trucks a race car and wonder why, or get upset, when the motor can't handle the extra "after-market" horse-power.... that's not Ford's problem... "pay to play" comes to mind.

Navistar developed the 6.0L for people that wanted more HP over the 7.3L... and that still isn't enough. If people want more than the 6.0L has to offer... then they should buy a 6.4L.

Count me and my 6.0L motor in as a "positive" vote!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Last edited:
I;ve got over 78,000 on my F-250 and no problem, I do most of the maintainance and it RUNS Great

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
68k on my 05 so far. I have probably let my truck idle 100 times as much as anyone else. (7 hours one time, man it was cold and I couldn't keep one of my compressors running, rather than keep trying to drive home, I slept in the truck, many other times for as much as 4-5 hours working by the headlights) Still got the original turbo and egr has not been pulled. (although i think the egr cooler is bad) I loved my 03 enough to replace it with another 6.0. I know all about the FTE crap, but over there there is like 3 or 4 members with 03 and early 04s with over 250k on them, all torqshift equipped if I am not mistaken, none ov them ever needed to change a CPS on the side of the road either. Try that in a 7.3, not..................

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Diesel's ALL have a turbo. They don't run too well without one.

You know, I was just thinking about your turbo problem. Why replace a turbo with a turbo? Does anybody make a belt or gear driven blower kit for a 6.0? Seems to me that would be much more practical for your application, with instantanious boost, rather than having to wait for the turbo to spin up.

Just thinking out loud

Gunner

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts