Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trim...black or chrome??????

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
okay..i think im gonna paint the 84 electric blue....and i cant decide on goin with chrome grille, trim, etc.....or should i go black grille, nerf bars,bull bar, etc...the black is cheaper but the chrome looks good...and i can imagine the black lookin good..whzt do yall think

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm a chrome guy through and through. I think the chrome will help accentuate the color. I feel black trim causes the truck to 'blob' together.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i liv in north tx so salt n sno r seldom seen...i can picture it both ways...i think i need to aint it before i buy head to toe chromeor buy the chrome...then install it once its painted

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'd go black, cause it's cheaper, and looks ok with most trucks.

If you have the extra cash, why not go with chrome though? It will probably last longer, and look better..

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
aight thanks yall...i plan to buy a new grille n headlight bezels n a bully bar from lmc here pretty soon

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
From my short time of being here, i have heard about bad things about LMC.

You would be correct sir...but it seems a lot of folks must get burned before they see the light. They don't believe that a thumb print will dent a grille, or that they send out flimsy body panels, or their 'chrome' stuff chips/flakes and splits. But I guess some people like spending a lot of money, then having to replace the stuff a year or two later.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
You would be correct sir...but it seems a lot of folks must get burned before they see the light. They don't believe that a thumb print will dent a grille, or that they send out flimsy body panels, or their 'chrome' stuff chips/flakes and splits. But I guess some people like spending a lot of money, then having to replace the stuff a year or two later.

The problem with it is,most of us need new parts.LMC has those parts.But,those parts suck.So,where can we get good decent parts that don't suck?I've heard the same about NPD having crappy parts.I'm not even gonna begin to talk about Dennis Carpenter,they want an arm and a leg for everything they have.People buy from LMC because they're cheap,and they have most everything.When you pay less for something,the quality usually decreases.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The problem with it is,most of us need new parts.LMC has those parts.But,those parts suck.So,where can we get good decent parts that don't suck?I've heard the same about NPD having crappy parts.I'm not even gonna begin to talk about Dennis Carpenter,they want an arm and a leg for everything they have.People buy from LMC because they're cheap,and they have most everything.When you pay less for something,the quality usually decreases.

Actually...on alot of things DC is no more expensive than LMC, except for when comparing DC'S OEM stuff to LMC's repop stuff. But when looking at DC's reproduction stuff vs. LMC's, same price...and DC is the only place you can get reproduction stuff on original Ford tooling. I always laugh when people say DC is soooooooo expensive. If anything, LMC is ripping the customers off...because they do get some of DC's stuff, but they're DC rejects, that LMC sells for full price. But you can get the same blem stuff from DC for half price.

But you're fighting the age old battle, quality isn't cheap, and cheap isn't quality. So what it comes down to is...do you wanna do it right...or do you wanna do it cheap? In the long run, doing it right will be cheaper anyway, because you won't be replacing parts in a couple years. So like I said, most folks have to find out for themselves because they figure LMC's stuff is just as good.

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Actually...on alot of things DC is no more expensive than LMC, except for when comparing DC'S OEM stuff to LMC's repop stuff. But when looking at DC's reproduction stuff vs. LMC's, same price...and DC is the only place you can get reproduction stuff on original Ford tooling. I always laugh when people say DC is soooooooo expensive. If anything, LMC is ripping the customers off...because they do get some of DC's stuff, but they're DC rejects, that LMC sells for full price. But you can get the same blem stuff from DC for half price.

But you're fighting the age old battle, quality isn't cheap, and cheap isn't quality. So what it comes down to is...do you wanna do it right...or do you wanna do it cheap? In the long run, doing it right will be cheaper anyway, because you won't be replacing parts in a couple years. So like I said, most folks have to find out for themselves because they figure LMC's stuff is just as good.

I agree with you 100% man.I keep forgetting about DC's rejects.

I have my own experience with LMC body panels(tailgate),and would never trust any piece of metal that came from LMC,or probably anything for that matter.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
ive bought a couple things from lmc...they werent major or anything...new taillight lenses....and they are still clear and sturdy...im nt sayin lmc is great....but i mean i didnt buy like an entire body panel.....if you had the need to buy new trim/ molding who would yall go 2

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with you 100% man.I keep forgetting about DC's rejects.

I have my own experience with LMC body panels(tailgate),and would never trust any piece of metal that came from LMC,or probably anything for that matter.

Yeah...and whatever LMC does make, is paper thin. And like I said, their chrome flakes/chips and emblems have a tendancy to split.

But the only decent option for going cheap, is spend looooooooooooots of time in junk yards, and collect piece by piece...but that can take forever. And you can have chrome/trim reconditioned...but it's usually not that cheap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
when i sent my last post and the page refreshed i saw them ill give dc a look...im gonna try to stray from junk yards w trim junk yards are great for some things bt its not a fix all solution

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
IDK how they are but Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has some trim.

They're great too...but they distribute DC stuff as well, although it's not the reject stuff that LMC gets. JBG is great, but have had back order issues for the last few months...and shipping prices can be a tad high.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I get the majority of my small parts from junkyards,stuff like locks and emblems,and I usually get them in bulk,just because there's nothing better than factory original parts.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i go to junk yards for alot of things....but i think it would be a long search for really good chrome trim....i need a new for emblem for my grille and a new horn/cruise control woodgrain insert for my steering wheel.....the plastic trim pieces that seperate the horn from the main part is starting to screw up my horn n make it get caught under it n continue to honk

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts