Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

quick opinion question

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i need to put a toolbox in my truck bed because im running out of room behind my seat....should i spend money to fix the locks on my current toolbox in my back yard and paint it or should i spend 50 bucks on a tool box that sets down in the floor of the bed from my uncle...i like it being down in the bed because it wont block my sliding window and it wont block my decals on the back :p but i already have a tool box that is like what most people see...the one that sets on the bed rails..all it needs is a lil spraypaint and locks...ill either replace the locks or put taches and padlocks of my own on it depending on the rice...what toolbox should i go for

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd get the one from your uncle. I always got rub marks from the ones that rest on the bed rails. Besides, you'll probably drop $10 in spray paint, and another $15-20 in locks...and it'll block the slider and decals.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
lol im gettn torn in 2 diff directions....and the rail mounted has 38'' rubber pads on the mounts to keep from rubbing....i thought about fixin it and usin it till i buy the other then sell the 1 i had after awhile

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It may have the rubber pads...but the rubber moves/shifts too, and eventually wears down the paint.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
goodpoint....ill have to really think on this one..... but wouldnt the floor mounted box also shift and rub?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
goodpoint....ill have to really think on this one..... but wouldnt the floor mounted box also shift and rub?

Yeah...but that's on the bed floor...and not causing any cosmetic blemishes that can't be covered.

Thats why I have diamond plate on the bedrails of most of the trucks I have except for the 72 sice theyre already beat up.

But even with that...if you or someone wanted that diamond plate off, the bed rails will be worn through and probably rusted. I try not to mess with exposed exterior painted areas because if you ever go to take it off, it'll be ugly.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i could always drill a couple holes and mount the bed rail mounted box so it wont budge

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i plan to have her ainted and the bed rhino lined by may so until then minor scratches and scuffs arent that bad... and i can always fill in the holes

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
iv seen some just setting in beds and some adheared to the rails bad plan btw and some with rigged clamps

Last edited by a moderator:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well it's your truck so do what you want...I was just offering my opinion. And yeah, you are supposed to drill holes for rail mounted boxes...still doesn't matter, vibrations and whatnot will cause wear through.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
hopefully soon ill be able to find another truck for a daily driver to park my girl so i cant baby it n make her a toy but for now shes gotta haul me around so i figure i can put her to work while i can....ill do what i think will be the best for the money and get back to yall with results

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts