Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Getting a lil lift w/out a BL

TazDevil07

Go Ahead and Git Some Boy
I have tbars on my Ranger and am told I can crank them a couple notchs and get a lil height out of em. And that I would need to get a realignment afterwards.

Now my question is, how much height can I get safely but cranking? 1"? 2"? And by doing so, will it level out the Ranger? And will I be able to fit a 32" tire without rubbing?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I have no personal experience with this but from what I've heard you can crank the tbars to level out the truck but your ride quality will suffer.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I am getting ready to do the same with my Mountaineer. The thing about the torsion bars is that, yes you can lift up to 2 inches on a 4x4 (if its the same setup as the 2000ish models, I don't know if they changed it for the newer models such as yours)

Any farther than that and you are putting your CVs at a harsher angle and they will wear out faster. It will also firm up the suspension.

TazDevil07

I am getting ready to do the same with my Mountaineer. The thing about the torsion bars is that, yes you can lift up to 2 inches on a 4x4 (if its the same setup as the 2000ish models, I don't know if they changed it for the newer models such as yours)

Any farther than that and you are putting your CVs at a harsher angle and they will wear out faster. It will also firm up the suspension.

Thanks. Yeah, I've heard different things and everyone says, it'll stiffen up the ride but dammit, its not a cadillac, its a truck. Suppose to be rough. I'm just concerned about wearing issue but being its a new truck with only 20k on it, don't see that anything would wear that quickly.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Keep it at 2" or under and you should not have problems. I know a few people that have had their explorers cranked for a long time with out problems.

TazDevil07

I'm thinking I only need about 1.5" to fit a 32" tire, unsure though.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Not trying to send you away from here, but you mentioned other sites in another thread, have you checked out therangerstation, or explorerforum? I am on Explorerforum and it deals with rangers too, as for most years, their chassis was the same.

Also, remember for the most part, where you can fit a 32x11.5, you can fit a 33x10.5. Thats what I am gonna go for.

TazDevil07

I live on Ranger-Forums. I really wanted to get some Ranger tech info on here since I'm recruited a few to here already PLUS its always good to get different opinions.

smiliecrybaby in all seriousness, you did want to give me the boot! smilieneenar

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thats cool, I figgerd you did, but didn't know.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No problem, good luck.

Off-roadranger04

Delaware Chapter member
if you crank the bars nearly all the way with a lil thread still left you will be able to fit 32s. Or you can do the pre key mod and throw an add-a-leaf or shackle in the rear and u'll get about 2in all around!

If you need a hand im right up route 1... a lil... sorta... but id be glad to help lol

Smashed96gt

Delaware Chapter member
The pre key only works on 08 and up. Hers is still the higher one.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would think that if you do it to 1.5" you shouldn't have much of a problem. Just measure everything so you can get both sides even.

TazDevil07

Well we'd definitely need help doing it. Still trying to convince the ole man! Can we say MOD PARTY!!

Off-roadranger04

Delaware Chapter member
haha party?!? WHERE!?!? lol But before i had my superlift i cranked my t-bars all the way it leveled the truck out perfect and wasnt as bad a ride as people said it would be... Being that you have Rancho shocks maxed t-bars should be just fine... Nothing will wear out faster. Ive heard ball joints will go but thats if the truck is old as dirt. your will be fine brenda... CRANK'EM!!

TazDevil07

:cool: I've been wanting to. I've gotta find out where I can get the realignment done and how much it'll cost to get it done. My boys at work said they'd crank em for me!
7.gif

Off-roadranger04

Delaware Chapter member
any auto repair shop should be able to do alignments...

TazDevil07

I might just take it back to Scotty's to do it. They mentioned when I got my exhaust done to be careful on the lifts, might break something (and now I can't remember) a hanger or something. Ugh!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts