Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ID this motor

So I go to the parts store for Cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Tell him its a 79 f150 351m. cap, rotor, and wires not even close to what I took off. The ebayer listed it as a 400 then told me its a 351M went I get there to pick it up. Has 8 bolts on the valve covers. So how can I tell what it is? Am I right in thinking its a 351m or did the parts guy make a mistake.

07-22-09_001.jpg

07-22-09_002.jpg

07-22-09_003.jpg

A little more info. The cap he pulled off the shelve had a larger diameter and was shorter. the one thats on it now is taller and the connections are different. Maybe this is not a 79 motor?

Gotta find the block stamping Rusty....no doubt if you have that info.

Would it be easier to just go to a different named parts store to see what they come up with ?
The NAPA here had the part #'s reversed for the oil seal on my transfer case
front #=back seal

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Here is a 360 FE to compare:

img023.jpg

img022.jpg

Doesnt look like an FE to me.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
That is a 351m or 400.

The cap that they gave you will fit your distributor, but there is a spacer that goes under it. It also takes different wires. If you want the cap that you have now, get it for an earlier year.

That is a 351m or 400.

The cap that they gave you will fit your distributor, but there is a spacer that goes under it. It also takes different wires. If you want the cap that you have now, get it for an earlier year.

When you say spacer could it also be called an adapter? Because they did have that just called it something different

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts