Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 discussion

blacksnapon

Staff member
Theres been much discussion the past few years about the 6.0 reliability issues. I have been, from the start of the 6.0, convinced that fuel quality is the root of all of the evils with this motor. Injectors, turbo, head gaskets, egr valve, etc. All touch fuel in one way or another. Everyone has been talking about the reliability of the 05s and up. I dont think its been so much the motors are better after 05, I believe its because the government started to standardize fuel around 05 and 06. Now, the incidences of head gaskets are greatly reduced. Most of the gripes I hear now is from the egr coolers failing (which is another problem all together). Discussions?

Do you see the cooler failures as often in an '03 as in the following years? I have read where some seem to think the '03 cooler to be a superior design.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Do you see the cooler failures as often in an '03 as in the following years? I have read where some seem to think the '03 cooler to be a superior design.
The 03 cooler is much more robust in my opinion. The major cause of the cooler failures in my opinion has been the oil coolers plugging up. Theres debate going on with what is plugging them up. Some think its silicates from the coolant, some say its the casting sand.

I wonder about the silicate/casting sand thing also. Perhaps it's a bit of both in some cases?

I know guys who have run a bypass coolant filter for many miles and continue to get lots of crap in their filters. You would think that after time it would all go away if sand were the only thing in there....

Are the majority of the failures you see caused by the coolant boiling within the EGR cooler?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Are the majority of the failures you see caused by the coolant boiling within the EGR cooler?
The coolant boiling isn't a cause, its an effect. The cooler fails, then the coolant boils, and pressure from the exhaust starts the puking.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i have a hard time believeing that as clean as engines have to be to build, that there is sand in a block. it is the silicate from the coolant in my opinion. i have seen this coolant turn rock hard after deposits "cook" and solidify from bad concentration or hard water. egr coolers are very sensitive and really could have been beefed up or atleast stayed with the 03 design. the oil cooler is the same for the 03 to 09 60, and if the oil coolers getting restricted are to blame for the egr coolers failing then why not see more 03 cooler failures? or do the 03 oil coolers never stop up, doubtful.

Do you think excessive heat is a factor that contributes to the drop out of silicates from the coolant?

Most every flush procedure I have read says to use distilled water for the coolant mixture. Is distilled water used by the factory?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Do you think excessive heat is a factor that contributes to the drop out of silicates from the coolant?

Most every flush procedure I have read says to use distilled water for the coolant mixture. Is distilled water used by the factory?
Distilled water is used in the initial fill. ALL of the oil coolers I've replaced because of egr cooler failure were stopped up. I will put an air gun in one of the oil cooler orifices and blow it out. Invariably, it will blow out large hunks of mud.

blacksnapon

Staff member
i have a hard time believeing that as clean as engines have to be to build, that there is sand in a block.
You know the discussions that Ford has had with us about nitrite levels in the coolant, and the test strips to check it? Thats where it comes from. Essentially, the nitrites eat away at the block (and the water pump, front cover). Then the casting sand and debris is broken loose to end up in tiny passages (such as the oil cooler).

Do the nitrites occur naturally in the coolant, or do they build up over time as the coolant ages (due to heat, breakdown or ?)?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
i have a hard time believeing that as clean as engines have to be to build, that there is sand in a block. it is the silicate from the coolant in my opinion. i have seen this coolant turn rock hard after deposits "cook" and solidify from bad concentration or hard water. egr coolers are very sensitive and really could have been beefed up or atleast stayed with the 03 design. the oil cooler is the same for the 03 to 09 60, and if the oil coolers getting restricted are to blame for the egr coolers failing then why not see more 03 cooler failures? or do the 03 oil coolers never stop up, doubtful.

So did I, but after you see 10 coolant filters cut open an no doubt its sand and casting residue in the first 2 filters, year didn't matter.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
When the sca gets low the will make "mud". Seen it first hand in an engine that was only 1 year old.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Whats strange, Ford has you use an iron cleaner (acid) to clean out the coolant passages as a first step in completely flushing out the system.

I just got a letter from FMC that reiterates the difference between 'Normal' and 'Special' operating conditions, and the importance of routine maintenance. I never realized nitrite level testing was recommended every six months or that the test kits were sold at the dealer. That is pretty proactive on Ford's part as far as keeping us diesel owners happy....

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I flush my cooling system every 50,000 - 60,000 miles and only use distilled water and Ford Premium Gold Coolant.

I also use a dieselsite.com coolant filter.

Guess this is why I have 152,000 problem free miles on my 2003 Excursion?????

Glad being anal about my truck is paying off with great reliability.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I flush my cooling system every 50,000 - 60,000 miles and only use distilled water and Ford Premium Gold Coolant.

I also use a dieselsite.com coolant filter.

Guess this is why I have 152,000 problem free miles on my 2003 Excursion?????

Glad being anal about my truck is paying off with great reliability.
If more had done that, maybe there would be a different perception of the 6.0.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
If more had done that, maybe there would be a different perception of the 6.0.

Vince,

Quick question.....

Any thoughts on the numerous threads on the web about using the latest ashless TCW-3 2-stroke motor oil in a diesel motor?

Many are reporting same or better mileage and decreased noise (perceived as less wear on the injectors). Any truth to this? Has this topic ever come up in your Ford training?

The web has many adding 1oz per gallon of diesel and it is enough to lubricate but not enough to clog fuel filters. Many are posting it is like using bio-diesel (B5 - B20).

Just curious what your training and/or "real-world" experience has taught you... or is there some evidance to support this practice?

The TCW-3 oil is the latest & greatest 2-stroke oil and burns cleanly and is ashless.

Your thoughts????

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts