Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fitting a bigger tire

TazDevil07

Go Ahead and Git Some Boy
I've read alot about cranking your tbars versus body lifts, etc. and what I really want to know is....how bad is it to crank your tbars just enough to fit a bigger tire? My husband is against a body lift so I'm looking at all other options so, in the future, I can fit a bigger nobbier mudder tire.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've read alot about cranking your tbars versus body lifts, etc. and what I really want to know is....how bad is it to crank your tbars just enough to fit a bigger tire? My husband is against a body lift so I'm looking at all other options so, in the future, I can fit a bigger nobbier mudder tire.

How big a tire are you talkin'?

My Ranger's the old twin i-beam, so I'm not too familiar with cranking the torsion bars...but if memory serves, I've heard you start to lose ride quality before you get very much lift.

i used to own a ranger and looked into doing that. it sounded like it would cause problems down the road and you'd end up wearing parts out sooner (don't remember which ones). if you're not concerned about it (i wasn't b/c i knew i was selling mine soon), then go for it. i think the right way to do it would be a suspension lift, especially long term

TazDevil07

Yeah, I heard both good and bad about cranking them. I'm only looking to run maybe a 32 or 33. 33 and I hear I need a body lift. Told I could fit a 32 if I cranked the tbars. Just not sure how long before the ball joints would wear out. Thought I'd get more opinions on the subject.......

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I personally wouldnt do it.

Seems like it would mess up ride, handling, and before long.. parts.

Why is he against a body lift? I don't see anything wrong with them, if your going 2inches or less.. but everybody has their own opinion :)

Is there anyway you could go with maybe, 4 inch suspension lift? You would be able to clear 35's then :D

Last edited:

TazDevil07

Well cranking the tbars does stiffen the ride but its a truck not a caddy so I'm not worried bout that, its just wear on the ball joints but thats over a long period of time. Maybe he'll pipe in about why he's against it other than he says "things will go wrong". I just want a lil more umpff...to it. I appreciate all the responses.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Well cranking the tbars does stiffen the ride but its a truck not a caddy so I'm not worried bout that, its just wear on the ball joints but thats over a long period of time. Maybe he'll pipe in about why he's against it other than he says "things will go wrong". I just want a lil more umpff...to it. I appreciate all the responses.

Yeah, don't buy a truck for comfort... (although more and more people expect that from them nowadays :headbang:)

Ok, I'll be on the lookout for his repsonse... I'm curios as to why he don't like them now. :)

TazDevil07

I think he's worried that things will start breaking or something. A truck is a truck and should ride as such, imo, especially a 4x4. Woot!

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Personally, I wouldn't do it because of issues that may arise with the suspension being up closer to the end of it's travel. If you want lift, do it the right way.

There's something else to consider here too, and that's what happens if you crank up the torsion bars and then throw some weight in the back (it is, after all, a truck and therefore to be used for hauling stuff :D). I can tell you from experience that if I load in one cubic yard of rock (that's about 2,200 - 2,400 lbs) it sits about level. I can drive at night and I don't pi$$ off oncoming cars. Also, I personally think squatting trucks, and for that matter squatting anything, looks lame.

*I can also tell you that hauling 16 foot timbers without a roof rack or a trailer is a snap. Just open the rear slider, insert something in the bed under the window to keep the wood off of the window frame, insert wood through window (stay back a foot from the dash), tie it down in the back, red flag on the back of the timbers and drive away. Just be careful about those panic stops.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
You can buy some very easy to install lift kits for these rangers starting at like 2.5'' all the way to 6'' lifts and they only run about 150 bucks or so.
I really would wouldn't mess with the kets unless you just go up one or two.

Pony Hauler

Delaware Chapter member
I have never liked the look of a truck with just a body lift. You don't really gain any ground clearance from them, except for whatever the bigger tire will give you. I would rather put a suspension lift and do it the right way. Which also means a bigger money tree. lift + tires = 3 money trees

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I have never liked the look of a truck with just a body lift. You don't really gain any ground clearance from them, except for whatever the bigger tire will give you. I would rather put a suspension lift and do it the right way. Which also means a bigger money tree. lift + tires = 3 money trees

I see what your saying about them not looking right, and I completly agree. But if your looking for cheap lift to clear tires, get a higher stance, and dont go offroad much, they seem like they would work perfect.. IMO atleast.

(infact.. me personally, I would probably go for 2inch body lift, then save up for 6inch suspention lift... :suspicious:)

TazDevil07

I like em and thats what matters. IMO a truck was made to RISE not fall, no offense to anyone. Thats just me. I'm not off roading and a bl isn't going to do much damage. I'm STILL gonna fight ya on this one :hammer: :hammer: smilietease smilietease smilietease

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Just go with the freaking body lift.

I don't follow all the negative hype that people give these things. Unless you're doing any real off roading, a body lift is a cheap way of fitting larger tires - and looking good too.

A body lift; $145

Suspension; First born child

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
I am so sick of people bashing body lifts. I have done a lot of research of both the pros and cons and I just think anyone who really bashes a body lift hasn't done their research. I noticed a lot of serious off roaders who run massive suspension lifts top it off with a body lift.. How come I never see people attacking trucks like that? Just because it has a 12'' suspension lift doesn't mean the body lift isn't there.

It's a cheap way of getting three inches of lift. Buy the gap guards and nobody can tell. If they look hard enough, sure, but who cares? Rangers look awesome lifted.

I have a 3'' body lift on mine and I used to regret it. I don't care anymore; I love the stance on the truck. People talk about ground clearance all the time; Taz, go check out every 4x4 truck you can. Find all the stock ones and all the ones with expensive suspension lifts. Look at the difference, and think about the money. Okay then. Now think about how much you need that ground clearance.

Rant over. I'm sure I'll catch Hell over this but I don't care. I'm getting tired of people putting body lift's down and making people feel bad about them.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Short answer...Body Lifts= Mall Crawler, Suspension Lifts= add function.

With body lifts, you're risking changing your center of gravity and relying solely on a few bolts that are now extremely stressed that can/have/will/could sheer off from the frame. Not only that, the BL's add minimal functionality outside of better ground clearance. I'm not saying they don't have their place...but they don't offer the advantages of a suspension lift, and greatly increase risks. On top of that, BL's will have a stigma strictly due to the fact that there are major DA's out there that think hockey pucks/wood blocks/etc. are good enough. BTW...you can also easily notice a BL if the bumpers and radiator weren't relocated.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Short answer...Body Lifts= Mall Crawler, Suspension Lifts= add function.

What if you don't NEED function? Why pay all that money for something you don't NEED? I just can't see spending all that money on something the person is never going to use when all they want to do is add larger tires.

Anyone can relocate their bumper and add gap guards. Gap guards are about $50 and depending on the kit you get it comes with relocation brackets for the bumper.

I've seen pictures of trucks that were totalled in a car wreck. The body lift was still in place. I'm not worried about it.

smiliehijacked smilietease

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
but they don't offer the advantages of a suspension lift, and greatly increase risks.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Let me make this crystal clear; I am in no way trying to say a body lift has better function than a suspension lift. What I am saying is that a body lift is a cheap way of getting a better stance and the ability to fit larger tires.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What if you don't NEED function? Why pay all that money for something you don't NEED? I just can't see spending all that money on something the person is never going to use when all they want to do is add larger tires.

Anyone can relocate their bumper and add gap guards. Gap guards are about $50 and depending on the kit you get it comes with relocation brackets for the bumper.

I've seen pictures of trucks that were totalled in a car wreck. The body lift was still in place. I'm not worried about it.

smiliehijacked smilietease

Oh yeah, one more thing. Let me make this crystal clear; I am in no way trying to say a body lift has better function than a suspension lift. What I am saying is that a body lift is a cheap way of getting a better stance and the ability to fit larger tires.

If you read my entire post, you'll notice I made note that they have their place if all you want to do is fit bigger tires:

BL's add minimal functionality outside of better ground clearance. I'm not saying they don't have their place...but they don't offer the advantages of a suspension lift.

Hence the mall crawler comment...if all you wanna do is add bigger tires and do it on the cheap...then by all means, go the BL route. As for not being worried about sheering bolts...that's fine, that's an extreme case and there are plenty of catastophic failures that can occur on a rig...I just don't necessarily feel like adding another.

Ford Truck Articles