Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How safe are these tires?

On my wifes truck (2005 F-150 supercrew), the two back tires so far have been patched due to a screw and a roofing tack causing a leak in them. This afternoon when I came in from work I noticed the passenger front tire was flat. Will it be safe to patch this tire and keep driving or would I be better off to replace the tires being that 3 of them now have had to be repaired? This vehicle carries my wife and 3 year old little girl on a daily basis, mostly short trips but the occasional few hundred mile trip. The tires are General AmeriTracs with about 50% tred left on them. Thanks for any opinions.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ask yourself this question. What is your wife and daughters life worth, can you even put a price on them? New Orleans rush hour traffic is not the time to have a blowout when changing lanes on the 610, 510, 310 or I10 or the causeway or even God Forbid, the Huey P Long. Even the best value new tires are better than the compromised better quality tires you are running now. I would change them if it were me.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Without knowing ANY details about the tires-- I'd say it's a safe bet to say that if you even have to bring your families safety into QUESTION, then those tires are probably not safe enough for them. I wouldn't sleep until I knew for sure that my family is safe from spontaneous blowouts, regardless of cost.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Without knowing ANY details about the tires-- I'd say it's a safe bet to say that if you even have to bring your families safety into QUESTION, then those tires are probably not safe enough for them. I wouldn't sleep until I knew for sure that my family is safe from spontaneous blowouts, regardless of cost.
Chris, that and the fact that I have driven every road mentioned in my last post which is where he lives. They ain't pretty, to say the least. My rule is 1 gets plugged or patched, ok, it happens, 2 well maybe coincidence, but 3, nope, time for a new set of shoes.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ask yourself this question. What is your wife and daughters life worth, can you even put a price on them? New Orleans rush hour traffic is not the time to have a blowout when changing lanes on the 610, 510, 310 or I10 or the causeway or even God Forbid, the Huey P Long. Even the best value new tires are better than the compromised better quality tires you are running now. I would change them if it were me.

Aaaahh! flash backs!!

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
If it was me I'd leave 'em, but then again I'm a 19 year old with no family and no money :rofl2:

Generals are good tires, and having a few patches in them should be fine, but you have to have the saftey of your wife and children in mind. Do whatever you have to do to keep them safe.

You'll probably end up with new tires.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
If it was me I'd leave 'em, but then again I'm a 19 year old with no family and no money :rofl2:

Generals are good tires, and having a few patches in them should be fine, but you have to have the saftey of your wife and children in mind. Do whatever you have to do to keep them safe.

Your only 19?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
if you have to ask replace them. i dont play with tires. like ryan said and i agree, tires arent worth the safety issue in my aspect.

Thanks guys. Skan sums it up, I wont be able to sleep good until they are changed. Due to lack of dineros right now I had it patched for now but while waiting I shopped prices for a new set. Any one have any experiance with Goodyear Silent Armor?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thanks guys. Skan sums it up, I wont be able to sleep good until they are changed. Due to lack of dineros right now I had it patched for now but while waiting I shopped prices for a new set. Any one have any experiance with Goodyear Silent Armor?

I highly dislike Goodyear! it it were me I'd do with another brand.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner

I would do the same, just run them and not worry about it..

But being 15, I guess I don't worry about stuff like that. smilietease

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Whats wrong with Goodyear? I have had Wranglers before with no problems, but I have no preference on brand of tires, as long as they perform well.

We have no preferance, aslong as their cheap. smilietease

They never see 70mph or get thrown into curves anyway.. on the lumina (thats the only thing we have bought tires for in a LONG time)

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well if you don't have the money for a full set right now,at least by a replacement for the worst tire.It's always best to buy all 4 tires at one time,but not all of us can do that.Try to replace all 4 within a couple weeks time period.What my dad does is he buys two,and then come next paycheck he buys the other two.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
You looked at tirerack.com? I think Ryan has bought a set from there and their site sponsors. When I looked at prices they seem pretty good.

I am checking them out now and have been all day. I noticed that at checkout they will want to charge you for disposal fee but the recommended installer will charge a disposal fee as well, what gives with that? I am looking at the Yokohama Geolander A/T s. I have wanted to try those on a recommendation from a friend, and I also noticed that Tex (the Goodyear hater) praises these as well, the only problem with these is they dont offer OWL, which I am not sure how it will look on the truck.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I have never bought from them but PM Ryan and ask him because I know he bought a whole set from them last year I think.

That would seem pretty lame if they charge you a disposal fee and then the installer charges you one also...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts