Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any good performance mods for the 4.6?

Yeah, what he asked!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Whatcha lookin for? there is all kinds of stuff for our motors.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
first of all, which 4.6 is it?

2v, 3v, or the 4,6 DOHC 4v? (my fav) :)

Its not a big deal but it gives starting ideas, and a baseline of where you are starting from.

Depending on how much monies you got, I say go for a Kenne Bell 2.1 :)

Last edited:

Its not a big deal but it gives starting ideas, and a baseline of where you are starting from.

What about a 16v SOHC 4.6L in the Mustang? What can I do to mine?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
how much do you want to spend? :)

how much do you want to spend? :)

Give me some general price vs. performance ideas, I do live in CA so Headers are out, sophisticated exhausts are out, I do have an intake but I don't think that's legal either...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
you could bet blown for about 4K. :)

What vehicle is this in, btw?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
There are tons of bolt ons for those cars, you should not have any problems. Just grab one of the mustang or fast ford magazines and make a shopping list. :)

I have the 4.6 DOHC.

I am not wanting a ton of power, just a little more than what I have for towing. Maybe a good tune, but I want to make sure I do the right thing in order not to mess my truck up, and not get screwed by some lame wanna be tuner.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I didn't know the DOHC came in trucks, then again, I havent paid much attention to the truck modular motors. In recent years, the aftermarket has exploded with performance parts for modular motors. Pick up a newer mustang mag, read up on some product reviews to figure out what you want and make a list. :)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
yep a tune on our trucks will get the most bang for the buck. I REALLY need to get mine tuned!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yup...
A basic tune will be a big help...
An intake... exhaust work...

the mod motors have loads of bolt on's...
Especially the 4.6... Same motor in the stang's...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Xcal 2 FTW

Hello, KK. :)

Last edited:
ahh, my experience with the 4.6 mod motors? well recently i worked over my buddys 2004 mustang and heres some foot notes ive got.

high flow cats? did nothing, except add some sound, maybe some slightly better top end power, but i think maybe lost a few ft lbs down low, he has flowmasters by the way.

headers? about the best cheap bolt on, longtubes have some more gains over shortys, but both are a great improvement over stock.

cold air intake, while this one is a popular one to argue about, in my personal experiences i think they are worth the dough, the intake on the 04 stang was pretty restrictive so i think this was a mod well worth it.

get a tune: we used i think a hypertech power programmer, and its worked wonders no matter what vehicle its used on, can typically pick one up for about 300 bucks and its worth every penny.

throttle body spacers. not worth the money imo, money is better spent elsewhere, this is a trick from the old carburetor days and doesnt do much for efi.

underdrive pullies, i dont think they are worth it, but some people like them, so they may be worth a try.

there are plenty of other things, but those are the most popular bolt ons. if you want to go deeper you can do things like camshafts, blowers, nitrous, better intake (trickflow offers an efi 4.6 intake manifold, which is a great piece to go with a cam upgrade.) my .02, start with some better rear end gears, then make sure your suspension and drivetrain is up to snuff. of course, a tuneup is always in order before you go modding your mod motor :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts