Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Top refurb

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...finding more things to add to my to-do list, and I figured refurbing the top on the Bronco should be on there too. Never done it before, so I don't know what product(s) should be used to reseal the cap, and I figured I'd fix a couple chips too...is this just typical fiberglass work? Also, when I was stripping the pine tar of the top, it pulled up the 'color'. Did the tops in '79 have color, or was this a doing by the PO, or is this due to age? It's kind of a yellowish/tan color, but when I got the pine tar off, it stripped it down to white. Is there a way to properly get the color back on? Is there a color code for this? Thanks for any help.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yea should just be fiberglass and I'm sure NPD or JBG has the seal kits...that should be all you need to do that......also I'm not sure on the color...I always assumed they came in a "parchment" colour....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Shoulda been more clear...I wasn't talking about the seals or weather stripping when I was talking about 'sealing' the top...what I meant were the 'seams' where the top comes together...and it looks like there is 'caulk' or something in those seams...what is that 'caulk'?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Could be a hardening caulk.......if you do do that get a caulk that bonds to anything...maybe a non hardening liquid nails or something.....the biggest issue you're gonna have is the polymers in the caulk bonding to the fiberglass.....also if /when you do do that...make sure u have a small cup of water and small soft sponge with you.....it's easiest to smooth the caulk with your fingertips initially (thus the water for dipping your fingers into) and once your done doing that with your fingertips, I'd use the sponge to pick up and unwanted residue on other parts of the top like when you clean it with your fingertips and it kinda squishes out the sides of ur finger)

Michigan
I used tractor paint from TSC on my old bronco. Scuff it up and it worked and held up great. Cant remember the exact color but it was the white/cream top. Matched perfectly

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright just to clarify what I meant before by 'caulking' in the 'seams' before is fixing this:
DSC02457.jpg

As you can see, my top is pretty discolored from pine tar I couldn't get off, or from stripping it down too far. Is there any particular paint you guys would recommend?
DSC02458.jpg

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I don't know Ben once the gel coat is gone the plastic starts to break down and flake off and I think any paint you put might start coming up?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't know Ben once the gel coat is gone the plastic starts to break down and flake off and I think any paint you put might start coming up?

Confused???? It's fiberglass, not plastic? I also didn't know they were gel coated, I figured it was just paint.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gotcha...not really afraid of any fiberglass work...not much is needed. As for the gel coat, I guess I could see that. But I just took a look over on FSB, and a lot of guys are going what I said I was gonna do, just repaint with flat khaki.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well do it then!
I know some guys will paint that Herculiner bed liner stuff on them.
Sticks to any thing and last for ages..Comes in a few colors to.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hot damn Tex...now there's an idea, tried reppin you, but I gotta spread it around.

On edit: Mark, I did talk to Scott, just looking for more ideas.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts