Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hood lock?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I just bought a factory hood lock for my truck and was wondering where the right place is to run the cable?

Thanks

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I got it off of ebay. The 79 parts truck I just got has one as well, oops. I won the ebay one before I bought the truck.

Any idea where to run the cable in the engine compartment?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
E7UZ16700A replaced D8TZ16700B =

The locking hood latch used on 1973/79 F100/350's & 1978/79 Bronco's is the same as the one used on 1975/91 Econolines.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D5DZ16914A =

The locking hood cable is the same as 1975/80 Ford Granada/Mercury Monarch and 1977/80 Lincoln Versailles.

Both these parts are obsolete...see post #6.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1973/79 F100/350 / 1978/79 Bronco / 1975/91 Econoline ~ Locking Hood Latch

Bill are those obsolete?
Both are obsolete.

D5DZ16914A = No Ford dealer or obsolete parts vendor has the cable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The following have E7UZ16700A .. Locking Hood Latch

GREEN SALES in Cincinnati OH has 15 = 800-543-4959

MILLER OBSOLETE PARTS in Binghamton NY has 17 = 800-546-7278

WESLEY OBSOLETE PARTS in Liberty KY has 1 = 606-787-5293

PARTS INTERNATIONAL in Farmers Branch TX has 1 = 888-727-0418

CELLA FORD in New Bern NC has 1 = 252-638-4011

COLONY FORD TRUCK in Warwick RI has 1 = 401-467-3800

KINSEL L/M in Beaumont TX has 1 = 800-816-2894
-------------------------------------------------
No phone numbers listed for the following dealers:

PEACH STATE FORD TRUCK in Norcross GA has two.

DALE CARTER FORD in Eaton OH has one.

CARTWRIGHT FORD in Booneville MS has one.

ALL-STATE FORD TRUCK in Louisville KY has one.

PERRY PITRE FORD in Eunice LA has one.

FEUSSNER FORD in Freeland PA has one.

ED BUTTS FORD in La Puente CA has one.

Last edited:
Here is the routing.

You will see a dimple that requires anout a 1" hole to be drilled for installation

Buck, I have one of those (complete set-up) for a truck left in my garage.

I know you already want the bumper guards and will answer about those soon.

I have to dispute Bill's comments about the econoline latches being the same.
They aren't.The locking mechanism in the 80's and beyond use the Square headed key, The 78/79's use the round headed key like the glove box.

Those E-series cables are shorter than F-series trucks by little more than a foot.

Last edited:

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Thanks Dennis, I always wondered what happened to you. Nice to find where you dwell again.

I kind of figured that you'd know what I needed to now, like usual!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Ok I went to install it, cut the hole in the firewall, ran the cable, and bolted the latch and release on.

The problem I have is I think that there's something missing on the latch where the cable is attached, and not the cable that attaches to the acutal lever. It's where the cable is "anchored" to the latch, I try to put the cable where I think it goes but then the cable seems to short.

Anyone have any pics of of a functional one?

LockingHoodLatch.jpg

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Ah hah! I'm missing 16B968. That appears to be where the cable is anchored to, not on the acutal latch.

Guess I'll have to do some complaining to the guy that I bought it from.

I have 4 extra complete latches in the garage. I can sell you one if need be.

My truck had a locking hood on it but the cable had a kink in it so I had to remove it. Mine routed through the rubber garment that the speedo cable went through. The rubber garments are different on trucks with or without locking hoods. Trucks with locking hoods have two holes in this garment, trucks without only have one hole. If your truck did not originally come with a locking hood, you will have to make a new hole in the garment that your speedo cable runs through. The cable runs along the DS wheel well next to the top of your windshield washer fluid reservoir and is attached with a bracket to the wheel well near the radiator support. It runs through a hole in the radiator support to the latch. The cable connects to the latch with a small retaining clip that is plastic. There should not be any adjustments to the cable because it is pre cut a specific length by Ford. Just put the loop over the latch release mechanism, secure it with the plastic clip, and secure the cables sheave to the latch housing (just slips into a notched grove).

I have 4 extra complete latches in the garage. I can sell you one if need be.

Do you have the cable/handle only? My cable is damaged but the latch is good. If you have a new handle with cable, I defiantly would love to buy it from you. Please PM me.

Garment ?

I think you mean: Grommet

See the photo above. the Grommet is PART of the assembly,that's why you need to drill a special hole in that location with the dimple on the firewall

I have one for an F-series left.. Buck has first dibs on it.

I think I have one for an E-series though.. The cable is shorter though.

Garment ?

I think you mean: Grommet

See the photo above. the Grommet is PART of the assembly,that's why you need to drill a special hole in that location with the dimple on the firewall

I have one for an F-series left.. Buck has first dibs on it.

I think I have one for an E-series though.. The cable is shorter though.

Sorry, I did mean Grommet, the spell check changed it to something else :( If Buck does not want it, let me know. I'll take it if it is for the F-Series. Thanks.

LipschitzWrath

$30,000 and counting...
I have a couple questions. My truck originally came with the manual hood latch setup. I wanna upgrade for a particular reason, which we'll get to next. Now, if I get the E7UZ16700A latch and a new cable assembly from an 80-86 pickup (i'm told this works), that's all that I'll need, right?

Second question: Does the cable hood latch still require some sort of manual interaction to fully open the hood? I.e. do you pull the cable to pop the hood, but then you still need to go to the front of the truck and push/pull some lever to fully release the hood?

My problem is that I replaced my grille with one of the new billet ones and you can't reach in between the bars. The grille came with a "tool" to pull the latch with, but it's kinda a joke. So, I'm just wondering if I will still have to use this dumb tool to open the hood.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts