Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Suspension help for a GM

Hope I'm posting in the right section...but need some help figuring what's going on w my girlfriend's car, a 2018 Buick Encore.
Basically, the ride quality is super, super harsh. It's like the wheels are connected directly to the body. Going over a speed bump will crush your spine. My 1978 F250 has more give in the rear suspension than this does.
Thing is, a couple years back an old mechanic friend (no longer around) told her she needed new suspension work, so took the car and did "something" to it. They returned it with the current ride quality. Prior to that, she says it was actually pretty comfortable.
Firstly, I think it was BS that she "needed" anything done to it in the first place. It's still got less thank 100k miles on it, and is only 5yrs old.
Today I got under the car and took a look at the serial numbers for the rear shocks and springs. I assumed maybe they had changed the springs for stiffer ones, but the springs that are on there are indeed OEM for the Encore.
The shocks on the other hand, I can't find any info on. The numbers listed on the shocks are:
W19 306
and

I'm a little surprised the ride could be so hard just based on shock absorbers. Is there anything else they might have done to make it so hard? And since I'm not finding any info on those numbers for the shocks, I'm assuming they're not OEM. Anyone have any info on those numbers and what sort of vehicle those shocks might actually be for?

Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
Only way the shocks can cause harsh ride typically is if they are largely stuck. I have seen that - they wear to the point of siezing. You should be able to go to the rear bumper and give a good shove down and have it bounce back up. If it won't bounce at all, then most likely the shocks are stuck or too stiff either way. Strange that it went that way after what seems like may have been a shock replacement. That then points to too stiff or improper installation.

Ya I think it's strange too. Hence this post for help. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and replace the shocks with OEM and see how it feels after. They don't move much, but they do move, so likely not stuck; but so far anyway they're the only thing I've seen that isn't stock. It should be a step in the right direction either way.

Thanks for the insight!

Fellro

Staff member
Seems like a logical way to go. If everything else looks right, about all that is left to kill ride quality.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts