Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering column bearings

I am in the process of removing the upper steering column bearing. Everyone I have spoken to has said it is fairly easy and can be done in the truck. My question is how does the bearing come out. I have removed the steering wheel and all springs and spacers and can see the bearing. Is it supposed to slide over the shaft that the steering wheel bolts to?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Shaft Bearing, Upper, Column Removed
Removal

Remove steering column lock cylinder housing from steering column as described under Steering Column Removal and Installation.
Suitably support housing and tap out small steering column bearing with an appropriate drift and a plastic hammer.
Installation

Suitably support lock cylinder housing. Position small steering column bearing so that the inner race is "up." Tap into place with a plastic hammer and a bushing driver installer or socket the same size as outer race of steering column bearing.

Install lock cylinder housing into steering column tube (3514) as described under Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder, Lock Cylinder Functional .

Where do I find this info. Do I have to get behind the bearing to tap it out. By what your saying the column has to be removed, well thats how it reads to me. The instuctions that came with the kit didnt mention removing the lock cylinder. Is that another way of saying the ignition or what makes your steering wheel lock.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Where do I find this info. Do I have to get behind the bearing to tap it out. By what your saying the column has to be removed, well thats how it reads to me. The instuctions that came with the kit didnt mention removing the lock cylinder. Is that another way of saying the ignition or what makes your steering wheel lock.
that was directly out of the ford workshop manual.

Ford Truck Articles