Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shortening a drive shaft (off road use) 56k beware

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I had to shorten the driveshafts for my Scout project. Since it is going to be off road use only, they don't need to be perfectly balanced, so I decided to do it myself. Here is how- (sorry about the quality of some of the pics)

First, measure how long you need your shaft to be and how long it actually is so you know how much to cut off. I needed to cut off 7 inches.

driveshaft1.jpg

Next, using a cut off wheel in a grinder, I ground out the weld that holds the tube to the end of the shaft, being careful not to cut too deep.

driveshaft2.jpg

Then you will be able to knock the end out of the tube-

driveshaft3.jpg

You can now cut off the amount you need to and knock the end back into the shortened tube. I use a chop saw with a metal cutting blade, so I can keep my cut square. Be careful to keep the u joints in phase. Use a straight edge to make sure it's straight. The end fits in tight. It is sometimes necessary to heat up the tube a little to get the end back in. Don't use too much heat though.

driveshaft4.jpg

driveshaft5.jpg

driveshaft6.jpg

Finally, put a good, penetrating weld from the tube to the shaft end. Walla. Shortened driveshaft.

driveshaft7.jpg

This works great for off road use. A rig that is used on the road sshould have the shaft balanced though. If you take your time and make sure everything is straight and true, plus have good welding abilitys, you can have the shaft you shortened balanced for on road use.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
They r not bad to do . Takes time I do have expert weld mine as I'm not .

I have actually used 2-6 rad clamps to balance them temp. Good little write up

NICE!

How about LENGTHENING driveshafts.... ;)

The only one I have had lengthened was for my ranger when I put the C5 in it. I found a driveshaft at an auto recycler that was the same O.D. but way too long. A small machine shop took my ends and moved them over to the now cut to the correct length shaft. Then balanced it.

It only cost me $50 for labor. I supplied my shaft and the longer one. A whole lot cheaper than paying to have one made the right length.

You could always go with square tubing for the off-road longer one.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have welded up a few myself, not really that hard and the hose clamps work great to balance them. Just have to measure and take your time to ge the ends welded on straight.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
The only one I have had lengthened was for my ranger when I put the C5 in it. I found a driveshaft at an auto recycler that was the same O.D. but way too long. A small machine shop took my ends and moved them over to the now cut to the correct length shaft. Then balanced it.

It only cost me $50 for labor. I supplied my shaft and the longer one. A whole lot cheaper than paying to have one made the right length.

You could always go with square tubing for the off-road longer one.

Yea those are both the easy way....
I was referring to adding material to the already existing drive shaft...

But any way you look at it, its still a GOOD WRITE UP!smiliewierdthread

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I don't know of any good way to lengthen one without retubing it. There may be a way, but I'm not sure how you could do it and keep it strong.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts