Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Member with a 66 Camper Special

Hello all;
I am an original owner of a 66 F250 Camper Special. Purchased in Dec 1965 from a factory special order.
It was sitting with a blown engine ( rod thru block) for last 20 years. We have pulled original 352 engine and badly slipping and leaking Cruise O. Both have been junked already. It had a cab over camper on it which dry rotten in the bed. Son in law and I had to cut it off, in pieces, with saws all saws.
Now his 2 sons, my grand sons (ages 17 & 19) want to get it on the road again so we want to do a restore. I am 76 and retired so it has to be a low budget project. Not a high end restore but like a 7 on a scale of 10. We have muscle, aka cheap labor, but not a lot of money.
Body is excellent with just surface rust. NO rust cancer. No dents. Trim is straight but anadoized alum, so lots of work there. Has power asst brakes but no power steering.
I picked up a donor. 65/66 F250, Camper Special almost same as mine.
It is registered as a 1965, built in Aug 1965, but with a 1966 grille ( huh ???). Paid $1000 for donor..
It has a shop rebuilt crate 390 from 2007. NOT the original owner. I bought it from 2nd owner since rebuild. I have lots of warranty (expired) and breakin papers on engine but no specs of whats in it.
The Cruise O is a shop, bench, rebild to a FMX 3 years ago. Says it only has less than 10k miles.
It also has been converted to power steering but I see its like Frankenstien, Mickey Mouse built. Wheel is original but from there on down there are 3 different colors of column sections...I hope I can use mine and just shorten steering shaft ??????
Prev owner says it hasnt been running good up until early last month when she put in new alternator and someone crossed wired and the WHOLE, entire wiring harness shorted out and fried everything from relay to the alt to the ignition switch. At the same time she also got new battery, starter, volt reg.
Has 2 year old tires and wheels.
There are lots of parts for me and a lot for Craig's List...
I have been visiting this and other Ford sites and everyone is very helpful.
I don't have a shop or sophisticated tools. welder, hoist, cherry picker, etc or much room. My 2 car garage, where original is in, is actually a 1 1/2.
City has bans on working on cars in driveways so have to be quick and careful.
I look forward to the project.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I too hope to see pictures and updates!

Ryan

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Welcome aboard! Another place for parts is LMC Truck, and they have parts for Ford trucks from the 50s to the current year, their prices are reasonable, and their quality is excellent and they have a free catalog their website is http://www.lmctruck.com I've had good luck with them with parts for my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat Trailer Special, and you might also want to try the local junkyards, and even the local Ford Dealer as well.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Welcome aboard! Another place for parts is LMC Truck, and they have parts for Ford trucks from the 50s to the current year, their prices are reasonable, and their quality is excellent. :(

LMC has the worst quality repro parts, most of which are made in China!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts