Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need help with a Mac tool box

I know this is not about trucks but I do love my Superduty with the 6.7.
I have a older Mac tool box, it's the Macsimizer 11 drawer box. I have been searching for days to try and find out why my drawers won't stay shut. I think it's the detents or the lack thereof. I'm wondering if anyone here has had this problem with their Mac box and what did you come up for a solution. I have a couple of the drawers out now but can't seem to find out where these detents are. The box hasn't that much use maybe 3 years and then it was in storage until now. I sure would appreciate any help somebody might be willing to part with.

Fellro

Staff member
I don't think there are any detents in them. The Snap on boxes I have don't seem to either. It may have a minor tilt going on or such to allow for the drawers to come back out.

(forgot to hit enter... )

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Mac tends to warranty their stuff pretty well. Might be able to call them and have them come look at it.

I don't think there are any detents in them. The Snap on boxes I have don't seem to either. It may have a minor tilt going on or such to allow for the drawers to come back out.

(forgot to hit enter... )
Before I put the box in storage one of the drawers would creep a little but not open all the way. Now there are 5 of them that will not stay shut. I'm pretty sure they have detents, when I put the box in my new shop, I cleaned it well and oiled all of the slides. While I was cleaning the slides, I noticed small pieces of black plastic that seemed to be coming out from somewhere in the slides. After looking at it closer I can see a large chunk of plastic in the rails that I assume was once the detent. This box has been sitting on at least 3 different concrete floors and it did the same thing, and this floor is perfectly level, so I don't think that is the problem. Mac says they no longer support this box, but I can buy new slides for it. I really didn't want to spend that much right now on a box that isn't worth much more than it would take to fix it.

Mac tends to warranty their stuff pretty well. Might be able to call them and have them come look at it.
I've been looking for a Mac truck everywhere I go but I haven't been able to find one. I called Mac to ask about where I could locate a dealer close by and according to them, since I'm no longer have a business or work at one, they wouldn't even tell me where one was. They just said they don't come out to anyplace that doesn't have a store front.
At that time, I wanted to replace a lot of the tools that I lost in the fire, and I told them I was in the market for 10 to $15,000.00 worth of tools and they just repeated the same thing they told me before. I said, man, it must be nice to be making so much money that you don't need anymore.
I was also looking on replacing some of my Snap on tools and saw one of the Snappy trucks sitting out front of a shop awhile back and I parked next to it and waited for him to come out. When he did, I asked him about buying some tools and he told me I wasn't in his area so he couldn't help me. I asked him if he knew who the dealer was for my area, he said he didn't know that either.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I've been looking for a Mac truck everywhere I go but I haven't been able to find one. I called Mac to ask about where I could locate a dealer close by and according to them, since I'm no longer have a business or work at one, they wouldn't even tell me where one was. They just said they don't come out to anyplace that doesn't have a store front.
At that time, I wanted to replace a lot of the tools that I lost in the fire, and I told them I was in the market for 10 to $15,000.00 worth of tools and they just repeated the same thing they told me before. I said, man, it must be nice to be making so much money that you don't need anymore.
I was also looking on replacing some of my Snap on tools and saw one of the Snappy trucks sitting out front of a shop awhile back and I parked next to it and waited for him to come out. When he did, I asked him about buying some tools and he told me I wasn't in his area so he couldn't help me. I asked him if he knew who the dealer was for my area, he said he didn't know that either.

Thats a bummer man. The snapon guy in my areas kinda a D... I know a few techs in the area hes screwed over on warranty stuff simply because he didnt want to deal with it. Some of the shops asked him not to come back.

Thats a bummer man. The snapon guy in my areas kinda a D... I know a few techs in the area hes screwed over on warranty stuff simply because he didnt want to deal with it. Some of the shops asked him not to come back.
Yeah, I know how most of the Snap On guys are. They seem to be a little uppity in how they operate. I've only had one Snappy guy that really was pretty cool, I bought a lot of tools from him. My Mac dealer and I became very good friends, and he still calls sometimes just to see how I'm doing. My Matco guy was pretty much the same and would come by every week weather I bought anything or not. If I didn't spend $ 500 when he came by, I wouldn't see him for a month or more. This is not a bash the Snap On guy thing it's just how most of them operate that I've had dealings with.
I had thousands of dollars' worth of all three brands and some special tools I could only get through Snap On. I am a tool Freak and if I even though that I might need a tool I bought it. I lost two huge Snap On toolboxes full of every kind of tool known to man along with several other smaller Mac and Snappy boxes. All I have left is this big Mac box and a smaller Snap On box and the only reason I have them left is because they were in my garage at home and not in my shop. I didn't have very much in either of these two boxes because all the tools were in one of my other boxes in the shop. I'd really like to get this Mac box working again like it should but now it looks like I'll just have to jack up the front of the box a little to keep the drawers closed. It could be worst, that box could have been in the shop also.

1698979660403.png
Check for some new slides to replace your old ones. Look at your wheels, make sure they aren't worn out. Simply shim the front wheels with a piece of Tiles. It looks like the lil black tap hold the drawer back. I buy door latch toolboxes. Don't see a big deal with New stuff, Matco, Mac or Snap-0n priced crap. Their day went away 60 years ago.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts