Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Might be bringing a Ford back into the family

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well my little sister called me this evening and asked if I'd go look at a vehicle with her... It's a 2001 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L lariat.

I fed her some basic questions to ask the guy... Apparently it's got 165k on it. Price is a little low because of an exhaust leak somewhere near the engine according to the owner but doesn't think it's the manifolds.

I'm a little lost on the particulars of the gen 10+ fords so what should I be looking for with this one?

Thanks guys.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Well my little sister called me this evening and asked if I'd go look at a vehicle with her... It's a 2001 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L lariat.

I fed her some basic questions to ask the guy... Apparently it's got 165k on it. Price is a little low because of an exhaust leak somewhere near the engine according to the owner but doesn't think it's the manifolds.

I'm a little lost on the particulars of the gen 10+ fords so what should I be looking for with this one?

Thanks guys.

biggest thing i know about those 5.4's is prior to 2008 the plugs are a ***** to change... theyre known for snapping.. and takes a special tool to get them out when they do.. $30-$50 made by leslie tools best you pick one up if you ever plan to change them.. and theyre 13 a piece last time i priced them. youll want to blow out the cylinder with compressed air too before installing the new one.. the insulator has a tendency to chip off during extraction. some people have managed to get them out without it snapping but is very rare.. and most dealers from what ive heard charge you $400 A PLUG to change on them when they snap.

other than that theyre pretty dependable motors.. nice power.. great for towing or hauling.. heard a few mentions of leaky intake gaskets around the water jackets.. but never any specifics as to the causes of those..

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm pretty comfortable with the efi 351s and such but I feel dumb once you get into the modulars...

This is a picture of the heap apparently. I always did like the look of these...

09748df68a83287e9b587d14aac654d4.jpg

Going to look at it in the morning I guess...

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm pretty comfortable with the efi 351s and such but I feel dumb once you get into the modulars...

This is a picture of the heap apparently. I always did like the look of these...

09748df68a83287e9b587d14aac654d4.jpg

exterior wise looks in good shape..

np man.. like i said thats the biggest issue ive heard with them.. my grandfathers had 2 of them... an 04. and 08.. only reason he got rid of the 04 was it got totaled.. (slammed into the back of a semi going home one night..he cant see red to well being color blind ntm has catteracs too we figure he missed the truck stopping) new ones not fairing much better body wise but think that we think is due to his age.. he "claims" there was a bee in the truck and caught the guard rail.. but we suspect he hit the side of the garage backing out due to the tight spacing of the garage door itself being narrow and the garage doors channel looks tweaked like its been hit.. and the doors not staying in the track too well.. but hey hes 80 something yrs old.. hes allowed some mistakes i guess..

his truck has developed a miss lately thats getting worse... i keep wanting to buy the tool and the parts and while hes taking one of his many "IM NOT SLEEPING, IM JUST RESTING MY EYES" naps, going out to the garage and doing it for him.

Last edited:
I just recently bought my 2001 f150 XLT Supercab so I'm still new to this Gen too. I checked how the transmission shifted(checked the tranny fluid before and after test drive) listened to the drivetrain when putting into gear, took a real close look at the engine compartment for any signs of repairs(or butchery) and I always spend a good amount of time looking under the truck for signs of abuse, leaks, rust, condition of all lines, etc as an indicator of past use and maintenance. The brakes are easy to check since it's disc front and rear. I am very happy with the way these older trucks drive, and I really like the look :)

Hope the truck in the picture works out, looks to be really nice shape.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Couldn't say Ryan. I always heard it was any of them prior to 08 as they changed the plug design that year from being a 2 piece plug to 1 piece plug. I just always heard it as the 5.4l never if it was only effecting the 2v or 3v.. So you coud be right and only be the 3v. I just can't say for sure. So no worries about the raining.. SC can always use more info than less... Lol

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well she bought it. Seems to run well, transmission shifts fine. It hadn't been started when we got there and it was -18 out. Passed the cold start test which says a lot... 4x4 works... Romped on it pretty good on some icy side streets and it never hesitated. Only thing is its from back east, Pennsylvania I think and it has quite a bit of cancer above the running boards... Only structural thing I saw that worried me was a leaf spring shackle rusted severely enough to need replacing ASAP. All other hangers, cross members, etc had heavy surface rust but seemed structurally sound. I assume the exhaust leak is from rusted out components. Interior, aside from needing an Austin level cleaning job is in very good shape. It has the leather seats, sunroof, all the lariat niceties. She beat him down to $2000 on it which for this part of the world is a pretty decent deal I think. Pics and RFIs will ensue as I'm probably the one that will be saddled with the repair work. But what are brothers for I guess...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
sounds like in pretty good shape to me..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Only structural thing I saw that worried me was a leaf spring shackle rusted severely enough to need replacing ASAP.

I did all 4 shackles with a kit I bought off EBAY for $400. The kit comes with bolts and washers as well as the hangers.
Putting them in wasn't too bad, did the work by myself with no lift in about 3 hrs.
Hardest part was grinding off the rivet heads.
I didn't drop the gas tank, so it was interesting getting the bolts back in the one hanger, but I got it done ok

I did all 4 hangers, even though only one was really bad. I figured , while I'm here.....

Be careful with the exhaust leak, it may be a manifold gasket. if so, it is worth your while to heat the bolts before you even put a wrench to them. Remember steel bolts.... aluminum head... twist... break.... nightmare.

I ended up putting headers on mine, had to drill and tap a whole bunch of bolts

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
^^^Well, now is the time. I would give you good money to take the burban to the 17th largest landfill in North Dakota. :D

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Not something I'd own, but cool nonetheless.
You have to admidt, someone did a good job making it look stock

Ford Truck Articles