Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Making Mustang headers fit and a new exhaust

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Ok, I done this setup over a year ago and it has worked very good for me with minimal issue or money forked out. I actually made Tri-Y headers from a 65-70 Mustang work on my truck with some modifications (read: fit without making it a hack job from hell)....

First off, the headers: Tri-Y headers for a 65-70 Mustang
100_0367.jpg

Now the surgery. It was much easier than I thought due to liberal soaking of the bolts in Rust Eater and using the "redneck cheater bar".....

100_0360.jpg

100_0359.jpg

When I pulled the right manifold off I realized that it was cracked almost all the way around:eek: Ditto for the left hand as well (hard to see the cracks with the rust eater).....

100_0365.jpg

100_0363.jpg

Done the trial fit on it and the Tri-Y headers fit with some issues: the collectors interfere with the trans linkage and the front driveshaft on the left and the transmission on the right..'smiliedoh'

100_0370.jpg

100_0372.jpg

Here is the pile of junk so far that will occupy the big round file....

manifoldscatpipe.jpg

KdPate

After Hours Garage
I robbed the O2 bung from the old y-pipe and the O2 sensor itself. They both looked great for being 20 yrs old.....
100_0374.jpg

RH header in surgery....
100_0376.jpg

Bung welded in.
100_0379.jpg

Now the fun part. Cutting to clear the bellhousing and starter. The tape line I had to cut at (had to light up to keep my nerves in check...)
100_0385.jpg

Surgery complete. Not bad for a few hours of work and it fits perfect....
100_0388.jpg

Now for the left side. I thought it was cake but it wasn't:banghead: I found out my shift linkage was directly in the line of my exhaust and I needed to get around it. Found the best solution for $5 at Auto zone: a pair of 1 3/4" ID piping in the exhaust section.

100_0390.jpg

More cut and paste and the left is nearly done.
100_0391.jpg

The finished results........
Right side.
100_0392.jpg

Left side.
100_0393.jpg
[/

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts