Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Howdy everyone,thanx for the privilage of joining your site! This is one of my fords, and favorite of any i've owned. This is rootbeer float.1988 f250

Thank you, the clutch has that little bit of chatter from that dual plate mess, I want to put a solid clutch in it if anybody could tell me a good brand name to use, and I want to put a gear vendor in it cuz it's geared to drive 55. at 55 I get up I have gotten up as high as 23.5 miles to the gallon at 55 on cruise control. Go 75 with everybody else it drops between 16 and if Anybody could recommend a good brand of clutch, I will never use sax components again that's another story for another time, another truck, any input would be welcome. Thank you gents talk to you in a few. Oh, if any of you have a gear vendor for sale, I would be very interested even if it's a core that needs to be rebuilt thank you Fellers.

Fellro

Staff member
LuK is where I try to go for the single mass conversions. I actually do have a gear vendors unit that does require repair but it is very fixable. It was a standalone, meaning it wasn't attached directly to the transmission. I'm not likely to put it back in again. Originally was in a Dodge that was a donor to the Cummins conversion I did on an F350 a while back. Don't really have the electronics for it for control anymore.

Hey I like that F350 you have, that would be what you call a brownie would it not? I think I would like to get one whole kind thing that hooks to the transmission I guess I'm not sure yet there's a transmission shop over here, I'm in southern Oregon little town called Cave Junction so the nearest Big Town is Grants Pass oregon. And yes I've done some research and I want to go with the Luk clutch pac. I had a really bad experience with sachs stuff ,my 2500 Silverado, had a sachs flywheel ,pressure plate, clutch plate, the whole the whole pack, and when I got the truck back it was shaking worse than a woman of ill repute in church. When I went to pick it up I drove it through the parking lot and brought it back and said what did you do to my truck did you test drive it? Anyway I insisted he put another set in it . this happened three times in a row, was still shaking and the guy said that he thought I had a broken crankshaft. I was like yeah well it wasn't broken when it came in here he wouldn't warranty it. I called the head of the whole franchise place called Clutch World, cuz my father had had several Vehicles had clutches there never had a problem. Anyway took it to a friend out here that did Automotive have him pull the whole thing out of it, took to a Speed Shop and the Flywheel alone was almost a pound out of balance! I had him balance everything was out balance .took the $1500.00 worth of receipts to clutch shop, he wouldn't even split the difference with me.so, apparently their clutch and transmissions are still as bad as in 60's and 70's when rhey made motorcycle transmission that had 5 forward gears and 6 neutrals!
which do you think is better? The one that takes place of tail housing, or the type you have? Sorry so long winded. But there it is. I dont know much about these units cept the GEAR VENDOR brand everyone raves about. Thank you for your time and knoledge.if anyone has problems with old motor c ycles, do ask me. Thanx, jeff.PS, what do ya want for that gearbox and what's out of wack in it? brand ? Thanx again, jeff.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
But his FTF Ford truck fund?
Ford Truck Fanatics account. He has been gone for a while.

Brownie if I recall was a pure mechanical gearcase, while Gear Venders works more like an automatic transmission. It has an electric solenoid that uses pressure from an internal pump to engage the clutch to activate the overdrive.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts