Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello I’m new to site

Hi I have a 1979 ford F250 Camper special 4x4 with a 400 engine with automatic transmission. It’s been sitting for 10 yrs so I’m I am going to try and get her back on her feet. I have ordered a new Edelbrock carburetor 1906, changed the oil, and I want to buy a new fuel tank, new fuel line with electric pump, bleed the brakes, and change the radiator fluid.
Is there any other things I should do to it to get it running, it does fire when primed.

The problem I’m having is trying to finding a sending unit and straps and rubber hoses for a 38gal tank, the frame is 34” wide.
Any help would be appreciated.

Fellro

Staff member
If it has been sitting it may well have the carb gunked up with varnish. Since you have a new carb coming for it you wouldn't likely want to take time and money to try to clear it out. The fuel pump also may be failed. A note on the electric fuel pump is that you have to be somewhat cautious with them in that how you hook the power is important to have properly sized wiring and be thoughtful of the fact it may still pump in the event of a crash. Some of the ways you can deal with that is to use an oil pressure switch and relay to control the pump to turn it off in the event the engine isn't running. A normally open switch is the easiest to use for this. It should close under pressure. It will open under no pressure and disconnect the ground.

Regarding fuel sender, finding direct factory replacements can be tough. It might end up being you get one of the others then rob the parts and transfer to your old unit, paying attention to the location and length of the float arm.

You definitely have some good points especially about the fuel pump. There is lots of places that sell the 38 gallon fuel tank but you can’t find the straps or the sanding unit for that tank. It’s frustrating.

I think I’ll call around tomorrow and see what I can find out but definitely thanks for your input appreciate that

Fellro

Staff member
The straps are essentially the same ones, just with extended bolts and pipe spacers... The sending unit is the original but modified. The instructions come with the tank if you buy one new. It was never factory issued, just an aftermarket option.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts