Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F:250 6.0L Diesel

Howdy folks! My name is Joey and I'm new to this website and seeking for some advice. I just got a 2004 f:250 6.0L diesel and its not working. The owner said he drove it from his home to his shop (about a 30 minute drive) and when he went to start her up again, it didn't want to start. Since then, it has been in one spot for almost 2 years. I have no clue what is wrong with the engine. He has done some previous work to it, he changed out the shaft that goes to your oil pump? Something of that kind, he took off the whole top of the motor to get to it but I think you can just drop the oil pan to get to it. He done that work 11 months before his 2nd break down. I got the truck for free and its in a fair condition, can use new front and rear bumpers and a tail gate. Heres what i did to check the motor so far. I check the fuel pump, it works. I checked all the sensors and fuses, its good. I sprayed starting fluid into the breather and it didn't even show a sign of life. The motor spins over just fine and when I hooked a computer to it, it said no codes. I reckon the computer is out but my oil pressure gauge doesn't go up when i spend it over so im guessing something went wrong with the oil pump or it might be the shaft he replaced...im really stumped on what to do. Any help?

blacksnapon

Staff member
There are two oil pumps in the engine. One, low side, that supplies bearings with oil, two is high side, that supplies high pressure oil to operate the injectors. The low pressure pump is behind the harmonic balancer (gerotor style). The high pressure pump is on top, behind the turbo, under a plate. Because you have no oil pressure on the gauge, I would suspect a high pressure system leak.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts