Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Connecting a winch to the battery (2012 F150)

Hello, I have a 2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost Lariat 4x4...

I just installed a winch mount and a winch, but can't figure out how to connect it to the battery. I have two problems:

(1) The manual says not to connect accessories directly to the NEGATIVE terminal. Apparently doing so messes up the battery charge monitor.

o There is a fairly heavy wire that goes from the negative terminal, through the current sensor, and attaches to the chassis near the windshield washer filler cap, but I'm worried that it might not be fat enough to carry the 320 Amps my winch can draw at max load.

o It looks like there's room in the loop of the current sensor for me to route the winch's negative lead. Could I attach it directly to the battery if I run it through the current sensor?

(2) The POSITIVE cable from the winch needs to attach to a circuit breaker assembly, which in turn needs to be attached to the battery's positive terminal. But there's already a bunch of stuff attached directly to Ford's battery clamp. Is my best bet to cut the positive lead from the winch and attach the circuit breaker in mid-line?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hello, I have a 2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost Lariat 4x4...

I just installed a winch mount and a winch, but can't figure out how to connect it to the battery. I have two problems:

(1) The manual says not to connect accessories directly to the NEGATIVE terminal. Apparently doing so messes up the battery charge monitor.

o There is a fairly heavy wire that goes from the negative terminal, through the current sensor, and attaches to the chassis near the windshield washer filler cap, but I'm worried that it might not be fat enough to carry the 320 Amps my winch can draw at max load.

o It looks like there's room in the loop of the current sensor for me to route the winch's negative lead. Could I attach it directly to the battery if I run it through the current sensor?

(2) The POSITIVE cable from the winch needs to attach to a circuit breaker assembly, which in turn needs to be attached to the battery's positive terminal. But there's already a bunch of stuff attached directly to Ford's battery clamp. Is my best bet to cut the positive lead from the winch and attach the circuit breaker in mid-line?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Best bet is to stay away from the battery. Ground cable can attach directly to the frame with a drill and some bolts. Positive cable, I'd be looking at the battery junction box (fuse box) under the hood. Theres a large terminal under there. The battery clamp is somewhat weak, so its best to stay away from it.

Thanks for the guidance. I connected the positive lead (through a circuit breaker) to the fuse box as you suggested. Another person I consulted pointed out that there's a threaded bolt hole available right on the front of the engine block, so I used that for the negative lead.

Ford Truck Articles