Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake drum removal help

Oldracerjones

Texas Chapter member
Guys, need some advice if you have experience with this problem. My 62 flareside sat outside for 23 years and sank to the hubs. I'm restoring it and found the right rear brake drum will not come off and the wheel will not turn at all. The left is fine. I tried backing the brake adjuster down but it was full of hardened mud. Keep trying to break it out and have gotten quite a bit of it out so far but the drum is still not moving. Any ideas how to get it off? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
BFH.....seriously....if it is that stuck pounding it off might be your only choice.
Did you put penetrating oil on the studs?

^^Yep - get a mate to use a hammer on each side of the drum while you lever it off.
Brute force and ignorance will go a long way when it gets stuck like that:) :) :wasntme:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If you are not worried about saving the drum, you can drill three holes through the front of the drum, close together, in the area of the adjuster and stick a screwdriver through the holes to loosen the adjuster. This worked for me when a BFH was not successful.

Fellro

Staff member
I have had to pry the backing plate out enough to reach in with a torch and cut the adjuster on some that sat for a long time, then the drums came right off.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
BFH.....seriously....if it is that stuck pounding it off might be your only choice.
Did you put penetrating oil on the studs?

If you are not worried about saving the drum, you can drill three holes through the front of the drum, close together, in the area of the adjuster and stick a screwdriver through the holes to loosen the adjuster. This worked for me when a BFH was not successful.

I have had to pry the backing plate out enough to reach in with a torch and cut the adjuster on some that sat for a long time, then the drums came right off.

Agreed!! :) Sorry Mark,but ignorance can get one hurt or worse...work in a SAFE manor!! :)

Last edited:

Oldracerjones

Texas Chapter member
Success!

In the end it took some heat from the torch and two people prying the hub off. The brake shoes had rusted to the drum and had to be physically broken loose. Thanks for all the advice.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts