Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > General Automotive

General Automotive Technical Catch-All

Old 03-01-2020, 06:00 PM

bradleyheathhays is on a distinguished road
Feelin' a little shaky

I've got an '02 Ford Taurus with 99k miles that's got something loose in the front end but I'm not entirely sure what it is. When under moderate to hard braking there's a quick shaking in the front of the car and the steering wheel jerks in sync with the shaking. Jacked up one front wheel, left the other on the ground, and sure enough the wheel moves when pushed at 3 and 9 o'clock, but not at 12 and 6.

Any advice on where to go from here?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
I was gonna say warped brake rotors at first... still could be part of the issue. Motion left/right but not up/down says maybe tie rod ends to me? Ball joints are usually up/down and bearings are usually both.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 03-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Concur with the possibility of a warped rotor. Depending on how the BJ is loaded by the spring, you may not be able to make a wear determination simply by pushing/pulling with your hands; this is usually true if the spring force presses upon the BJ. In this case, a long steel pry bar is used to pry up on the wheel after it has been lifted off the ground. For good measure and to be thorough, don't forget to check the wheel bearings.

-A wise man learns from his mistakes; a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 03-02-2020, 08:08 PM
sawmill slave

primetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond repute
I would`nt be surprised at all if you have a warped rotor that`s causing the shake while braking, but I also suspect you have a bad tie rod end or something causing the looseness in the wheel end. Put it on a jack stand and crawl under it while your wife/girlfriend/kid/buddy rocks the tire back and forth while you eyefawk inner and outer tie rod ends and whatnot.

Justin

With a little luck and a greenback dollar you gonna see me shine.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:13 PM

bradleyheathhays is on a distinguished road
Right on thanks for the good advice.