Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel pump high pitched noise

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The in-tank fuel pump on the rear tank on my '89 F-250 has started producing a high pitched whine when the rear tank is selected. Whine goes away when I switch to the front tank. Is this an indication that the tank fuel pump is about to go South?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Given the age of the truck....and if it's the original pump...then yes, it's probably getting tired.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks Duncan. I'm sure it is. I replaced the pump on the fuel rail last summer. It looked to be original.

Fellro

Staff member
Typically, when they get noisy, they are about done...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Pretty sure that is what that indicates from past experiences.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
could be you ran over your mother in law...... She's back there making the high pitched whine....... :)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
They're never "done"

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Okay, back to the task at hand.......:D I switched fuel pumps today and crawled under the truck to locate the source of the noise. The noise appears to be coming from the mechanical switching valve...........This was replaced last summer with a new Ford valve. Is it possible that the fuel pump is transferring the noise to the switching valve?

I was prepared to pay $200 for a Motorcraft fuel pump(I only want to do this job once) but held off. I don't want to buy the pump if it doesn't need replaced.

Fellro

Staff member
Unless the switching valve is allowing fuel to bypass, I can't see how it could make any noise... Are you certain the high pressure pump isn't the culprit?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The fuel pump on the frame rail is about 2 feet away from the switching valve. If I get up close to the switching valve, and move toward the fuel pump, the noise seems to lessen in volume. I can't feel any vibration on the fuel pump when I put my hand on the pump, also.

I will put a screwdriver on both the pump and the valve, and listen to see if I can better isolate the noise.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There is nothing in the switching valve to make noise.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I agree. But that's where the noise appears to be coming from. That's why I asked if the noise might be transferring from the pump to the switching valve.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Try loosening the main pump out of the frame, my bet is it's doing an echo effect, and traveling down the frame.

You could also have a bad lift pump. If you have more than 1/4 tank of gas, the weight of the gas will "push" itself out of the tank, making the lift pump scream. truck will run out of gas at 1/4 tank tho. This only helps if the guage is correct.

Try taking the lines off the transfer reserve.
Disable the main pump at the pump electrically
Aim the line at a can, and have someone cycle the key for each tank.

This will tell you if the lift pump is working.

Be carefull tho, the nylon lines are brittle, I pinched a hole in mine doing this and didn't realize it until I was out on the road and changed tanks/
Gas does a pretty good job of removing undercoating....:)

Fellro

Staff member
I have been lucky, my lines have all been in good shape, even on the 86... I agree though, the noise has to be travelling from somewhere, it really can't be from the switch itself. You could bypass the switch using steel line inserted into the fuel lines to see if the noise changes. A 3-4" chunk will do. One is 3/8", the other is 5/16". The o=rings int he fittings will seal up to the steel lines. Expect the plastic clips to break though...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Plastic clips are only fuel filter clips, so no big deal there.
If you push them out with a screwdriver from the bottom, instead of prying them out from under the wedge part, they usually don't break

Fellro

Staff member
Yes, the clips are easy to get. They tend to get brittle over time. I have had them break even pushing from below the clip, not the wedge.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts